Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 07:08 PM

Postal Scam

You have probably heard/seen this before, it has been sent to me in an email today.
I thought it is worth reminding people to be alert at all times.

Postal Scam:

Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize.

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655

If it's true I hope you never get "hit"
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Just received this, it's yet another scam, so it doesn't hurt to be aware does it.

QUOTE: "Postal Scam:
>
> Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:
>
> A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).
>
> DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize.
>
> If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call.
>
> If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655."

unquote

I'm not bothered if this is an old one, a seen it before one, or a lie, it's worth posting just in case somebody does got fleeced!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2010, 02:04 PM
I'd be lucky to find a postal delivery card on door mat what with all the damn charity clothing sacks which get shoved through my letterbox on a daily basis!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'm not bothered if this is an old one, a seen it before one, or a lie, it's worth posting just in case somebody does got fleeced!
Always worth checking if it's legit though - for example, who's to say the scam isn't the "Royal Mail"'s number on this email address, intended for people to ring it to check their missed parcel cards are real?
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Good work mate, I've not heard of that one, knowing me I would think it was Secret Santa

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks is good to know, will tell friends and family(some elderly). There is a website that you can look up numbers on to find out who's calling. People post and it is good for finding out if scam/marketing calls etc.(don't think can name it on here though)
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Just received this, it's yet another scam, so it doesn't hurt to be aware does it.

>
> Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:
>
> A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).
>
>
> If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call.
>
> If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655."

unquote

Thanks H - I just hope I remember if I do get a card.

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'd be lucky to find a postal delivery card on door mat what with all the damn charity clothing sacks which get shoved through my letterbox on a daily basis!
I know - how much spare clothing do they think we have on a daily basis? We've also been given a 'Bags2schools' bag. Argh!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Always worth checking if it's legit though - for example, who's to say the scam isn't the "Royal Mail"'s number on this email address, intended for people to ring it to check their missed parcel cards are real?
"Postal scam chain email – PhonepayPlus’ statement
17/11/2010

PhonepayPlus, the phone-paid services regulator, is aware that a chain e-mail about an alleged postal scam is being circulated on the internet. The email refers to the Royal Mail, Trading Standards and ICSTIS (PhonepayPlus' former name).

PhonepayPlus appreciates that recipients of the email may want to find out more information about the alleged scam and has therefore issued the following statement:

The chain email refers to a service (operating on 0906 6611911) that was shut down by PhonepayPlus (then ICSTIS) in December 2005.

PhonepayPlus subsequently fined the company that was operating the service, Studio Telecom (based in Belize), £10,000.

The service is NO LONGER running and has NOT been running since December 2005.

You do NOT need to contact PhonepayPlus, or the Royal Mail, about this service as it was stopped almost four years ago.

If you receive a copy of the email warning you about the alleged scam, please do NOT forward it to others. Instead, please forward this statement from PhonepayPlus.

If you receive a delivery card through your letterbox which you do not believe is genuine and which asks you to dial a premium rate number, you can contact PhonepayPlus on 0800 500 212 (Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm) for further guidance.

Please go to http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/output/FAQ.aspx for useful information about how to recognise phone-paid services and understand what they cost, and some simple tips to help you enjoy using services with confidence." unquote

Hopefully that puts your mind at rest, that it was actually a REAL scam going on here, and although they've apparently stopped it, it doesn't stop giving somebody else an idea does it!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 06:41 PM

>
>
>
>
>

unquote

Lol great minds eh? I posted this yesterday!!!