Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 05:43 PM

Castration...

Hi,

Im sorry if this is in the wrong place, im still working out my way round here!!

I have a 9 week old puppy who's going to be living with his sister (also 9 weeks old) and his mum. Because of this, we're going to have to get him 'the snip' as soon as possible. I've heard 6 months is the soonest it can be done... Is this true?

I admit, it may sound slightly paranoid to be getting it done ASAP but we had a nasty experience with our ragdoll cat and her son We ended up with lots of kittens... We dont really want the same to happen with the pups!

Any ansers/comments would be great

Thanks
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Yes I believe I've heard 6 months too. But calm down.... Its a lab, so his sister, might not come in season untill they are 7-8 or 9 months old..... Luna was 1 year and 2 days old the first time...
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Don't like neutering dogs at all but if you have to do one or the other I would do the bitch.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Thordell - We will be breeding from the bitch in the future so unfortunately that's not an option

And thank you bellaluna - I will stop panicking now!!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 06:49 PM
You're welcome. I would have chosen to neuter the dog too....

But that's cos in DK its cheaper to neuter a dog than spay a bitch. Will tell you that a spay (bitch) is £400 in DK
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Wow.. Thats a lot of money!!!

As i said, spaying Megan isn't an option as she will have a litter of pups in a few years. So mine has to be done. Also, i believe it makes the dogs easier to handle once its been done and as he's going to be a very big dog i think this would help me out!
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 11:50 PM
i am going to have max done i just cant decide when. he is also a very very big boy and i am hoping it will calm him down a bit. maxs sister who we see a lot of has just been speyed and she is doing fine. i am just worried about the post op business
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-02-2005, 05:20 AM
Castration, and spaying, can be done much earlier than 6 months.

I don't know what the thinking is in the UK, but some vets here, and many in the USA will spay or castrate very young puppies - 8 weeks or so. It is frequently carried out for shelters & welfare organizations to ensure that the puppies which they re-home are never bred from. It is maintained that the puppies recover more quickly from the operation than do older dogs, that it has no negative impact on health or development, and, as the op is performed prior to sexual maturity, it makes no difference if it is done at 8-12 weeks or 6 months. There is a lot of information about this on the Web. This site gives heaps of links, mainly pro but a few anti: http://regaliapyrs.tripod.com/early_spay_neuter.htm

Personally I would prefer to leave castration as late as possible. Could you not arrange for the dog to be looked after by a friend/family member/boarding kennel for the weeks that the bitch is in season?