Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 11:10 AM

My grandpa 99 next Sat - any ideas

This is probably in the wrong section - sorry swayed between here, non dog chat and your celebrations....

Anyway, as title says grandpa is 99 next Sat...he still lives on his own and is still able to get about, he is a very proud man and still looks after himself and cooks etc. Anyways any ideas what I can get him for his birthday. I don't have a lot of money but would like to get him something useful I gave him a button hook at Christmas as he has really bad arthritis and he uses it every day.

I really am stuck.

Any ideas welcome

Thanks
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Does he get out much, why not take him out for the day, my mum is no where near 99, but she would love nothing better than taking a picnic and either going to a beauty spot, or the coast, even just for a couple of hours, I took her to a walled garden near London, one year, and then sat on a bench by the Thames and had our sandwiches, she talks about that still and that must have been about 10 years ago, why not find out what he'd love to do and treat him, other than that I've no idea on pressies, sorry
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

16-09-2007, 11:16 AM
If he has difficulty in bending down there is a thingy you can buy from the handicapped places with a long handle that picks up things dropped on the floor. Or perhaps something for opening jars and bottles would be suitable.

What a great age and still independent. Wonderful. Do wish him a happy birthday from me when it comes.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 11:18 AM
The whole family are taking him out for lunch on Sat and we are going to a wee place beside the water that serves lovely food. He used to love going to the horse racing but cant manage now as he gets out in as much as he goes to my mums every 2nd sunday and her brothers in between and can take a bus into town but gets tired very easily and then gets frustrated.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
If he has difficulty in bending down there is a thingy you can buy from the handicapped places with a long handle that picks up things dropped on the floor. Or perhaps something for opening jars and bottles would be suitable.

What a great age and still independent. Wonderful. Do wish him a happy birthday from me when it comes.
Thejar thing a good idea, away to look on ebay now..as have £ in pay pal account!! Mum gave him a helping hand for xmas a long stick with a grip at the end, he uses when he thinks noone looking

Thank you for your kind wishes
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-09-2007, 11:31 AM
If he likes Whisky get him a wee dram.
Bowmore single malt is a nice one.

And wish him all the best.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Good idea, he does like whisky and has a selection of full size bottles that he won't open because he says they will go off!!!! But I could maybe get him a miniature? His favourite is as far as I know Glenlivet, are there any unusual ones that are similar to glenlivet and non malts he likes highland park and chivas regal. wonder if there is anywhere I can order online and use paypal....I don't have enough to transfer to my bank account without paying but I have enough to use think I have about £28.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm not up on whiskys, but if you search on ebay for 'whisky miniatures', it comes up with several, most are auction, but you might find something on there, hope this helps
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
I'm not up on whiskys, but if you search on ebay for 'whisky miniatures', it comes up with several, most are auction, but you might find something on there, hope this helps
Thanks have just looked there are loads and one from wick where he met my granny many moons ago....I didnt realise you could buy alcohol on ebay.....

Oh dear.......
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
I didnt realise you could buy alcohol on ebay.....
No neither did I
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >