View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-10-2016, 10:49 AM
If you watched the program on puppies last night you'll know puppy play involves biting 80% of the time. Puppy secrets - last nights was birth and the first 6 weeks of life still available on Itv to download or repeated on saturday, 2nd part is on next week.
sloth1
New Member!
Female 

20-10-2016, 12:42 PM
Hi Trouble,

Yeah I had that on (the puppy loves sitting and watching dog shows!) and heard that. She gets a bit snappy though, but I've kept her distracted during any excitement today and made sure she has sat when told if she starts jumping up or snapping.

Fingers crossed it'll keep working
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-10-2016, 01:58 PM
Practice and persistence will pay off especially if you make all training fun.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2016, 07:48 AM
Hi I would definitely look at the protein levels, especially in the wet food even to cutting that out as it does have lots of bad protein in it once the water is taken into consideration. Good Luck.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2016, 11:16 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum

Does your GR puppy have a name?

Puppy biting is natural for dogs and is all a part of growing up, but they need to learn early on that biting human skin is not acceptable.

The methods I use are either to interrupt and redirect ie. call the pup and redirect her attention on to an appropriate toy, or interrupt with an loud "OUCH" and then redirect - but this can have the reverse effect on some pups, who then bite even more. Use what works for you and your pup. The other method I have used is to remove all attention from the pup ie stand up and turn your back, or leave the room. Once the pup is calm you can resume interaction.

Good luck. Try not to get too worried though as it is a natural behaviour for almost all puppies and through consistent training you will be able to eradicate it.

In terms of brain training - scentwork is great as most dogs love to use their nose and gundogs in particular. Hide treats or a favourite toy for her to find, scatter her food (if you feed kibble) in the garden and make her work for her tea. It is also never too early to begin obedience training. Keep sessions short and fun. Google clicker training which will also give you some good ideas on how to get your dog using her brain in training.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2016, 05:03 PM
Scattering kibble is OK indoors but outside you do have to be careful that there aren't any slugs or snails.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Scattering kibble is OK indoors but outside you do have to be careful that there aren't any slugs or snails.
Good point Brenda. Where I live we have very few slugs/snails in the garden, but that might be different for others.
sloth1
New Member!
Female 

23-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Hi all!

Thanks for your great advice!

Our puppy is called Mei Lan! She's doing great with the brain training! We've been playing hide and seek, hiding treats & hiding her toys, encouraging her to get them by name and also to search for people by name as well!

She's getting better with the barking/biting already. Whenever she does it, I completely turn my attention away so she knows it won't get her any playtime! This seems to work very well, then we resume playing and she's usually a lot calmer.

Still a long way to go! We probably won't scatter food in the garden, we're near a lot of fields with rabbits who tend to do their business in the garden and she'll just eat that no doubt!

But we'll definitely try it in the house! She'd love that.

Loving this forum, it's helping so much!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2016, 12:50 PM
So pleased to hear she is getting better. Best of luck with her.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2016, 02:48 PM
Great to hear of some positive results already. Keep up the good work and remain consistent and you will have a very well behaved dog in the not too distant future
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2