Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 04:18 PM
just one dog and its in the past now dogs fine problem sorted _THE END
CBT
Dogsey Senior

06-02-2005, 04:23 PM
is it though?
If you are taking dogs from their homes and then rehoming them without them being thoroughly assessed then isnt this sort of thing going to happen again?
Even the big organisations like the SSPCA have a set time period to assess and check the dogs over by a vet, admittedly it is not a very lobng period, sometimes as short as a week, but surely that is preferable to no time spent assessing the dogs at all?
and the reason their time slot is so short is because they have so many dogs, small rescues tend to have more time on their hands to get to know the dogs on an individual basis so in theory you would think they would be able to assess dogs more fully before rehoming.

Can I ask (without wanting to upset you as i know the other thread got a bit heated) what assessments you do on dogs before rehoming?
You can never rely on the word of the previous owner so how do you judge what the dog is like if you do not have it in your care or in foster care?

I still feel confused about the whole situation to be honest and dont feel its been explained very well.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 04:27 PM
I think this topic should stop now.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

06-02-2005, 04:30 PM
why?

Im only asking a few very valid questions?

Not trying to offend, just looking for answers. No one has said anything out of turn so why should it stop?

I had been considering making a substantial donation to your rescue to help with the task of homing these dogs, but I would like to know a bit more about your policies for assessing and rehoming first, I think thats a good enough reason to want some answers dont you?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Only one ? so what happened to
She has another dog who she was not giving up....
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 05:05 PM
I think this topic should stop now
the original poster asked for peoples views ???

has something untoward gone on because Im lost now ?

CBT
Its usually easier to assess a dog when its in a foster home - that way the animal can be assessed as to how it reacts with other dogs, cats, small furries, people, children etc
Unfortunately they dont always get the chance as there isnt enough foster homes etc
CBT
Dogsey Senior

06-02-2005, 05:14 PM
I would have thought so too lel, a foster home would offer the ideal environment to assess the dog, but from what Ive read here it seems like the dog was just to go straight from one home to another, now thats better than not having a home to go to at all, but if assessments arent made, I think the dogs will "bounce" back and forth on a regular basis
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 05:17 PM
but if assessments arent made, I think the dogs will "bounce" back and forth on a regular basis
thats why its so important for the homecheck to be thorough and for all parties involved to tell the truth for the dogs sake.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

06-02-2005, 05:18 PM
i hope the dogs concerned manage to get permanent homes.
hopefully the OP will update us when this happens.
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2005, 07:32 PM
I am going to clarify what has happened & situation now/
#
1) Boxer Welfare Scotland had arranged a new home as requested by owner,
2)We asked for help on the pickup & delivery of the boxer (which in hindsight was our mistake)
3)The person who was recommended to us offered to do the above but decided on arrival she was better placed/qualified to rehome the dog, that we were heartless because the woman giving up the dog was heartbroken, unprofessional because we were rehoming to a flat, to a woman who was`nt married??!, she had the audacity to phone the new family to tell them all above and more all this in front of the old owner.
4) The woman does have another dog she IS keeping
5)Both dogs sleep in a shed with a pig light
6)We try to rehome from home because we don`t have kennels(boxers don`t do well in kennels), we have a couple of people who foster for us and we are trying to build up a network of people to help.
7)THE DOG WAS NOT THE PROBLEM
It took weeks to arranged this rescue
9)The boxer owner still has him,
10) If anyone asked me to transport.HC on thier behalf I would & if I had any problems with the way it was being done I just would`nt do it before speaking to the rescue concerned, simply because it is`nt my place to make decsions.

Finally Boxer Welfare Scotland assess boxers through talking with owners/visiting, accessing vet records, and while we would love to be able to bring every boxer in for assessment it is`nt always possible .

I do not mind constructive critisim and I take responsibilty for this rescue going wrong.

yvonne
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >