View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

16-01-2008, 03:00 PM

Is it normal to feel out of sorts

My Nan died on Boxing Day. It wasn't unexpected as she was 91 and had broken her leg about 2 weeks before her birthday at the beginning of December. When she was taken into hospital we all knew that it was unlikely that she would make it home - laying around with a broken leg at that age makes you far more suseptible to pneumonia etc.

She manged to make it to her 91st birthday on 13 December and then saw Christmas in, passing away peacefully at 7pm on boxing day evening.

After the inital shock, I was kind of happy for her as she had been literally fading away before our eyes for a long time and was very much ready to go.

The funeral was on Monday and right up until then I have been fine - very much in the mindset to celebrate her life, be glad for her that she isn't in pain anymore and just generally thought I had come to terms with it all.

I travelled home yesterday and went to work last night and made mistake after mistake. I have then come to work today (after totally forgetting to set the alarm and making myself an hour late) and have again made mistake after mistake. I keep drifting off into my own thoughts - not really about my Nan and I'm not feeling particularly grief stricken. I'm just feeling not quite right.

Is this normal after a funeral? I can't exactly say to anyone here at work that I'm grieving and stuff as how I feel doesn't seem to relate to thinking about my Nan. However I just feel iritable and have been reduced to near tears over a few very slight things and wonder if it could be related?

I'm just focussing on getting through this week and then think I could just sleep for the entire weekend (dog-walking apart that is)!
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2008, 03:53 PM
It is perfectly natural to be feeling out of sorts, no matter how long or good a life they had, when you lose someone you love you have to grieve.

I think the finality of a funeral can sometimes be the hardest thing to deal with.

Take it easy and be gentle with yourself
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-01-2008, 03:59 PM
It is normal to feel like this. My nanna died in june 06 after being ill for a while and with that I was upset but happy she was no longer in pain, the funeral was a week later again while upsetting I was ok with it. It only really hit me about a week after the funeral. It does get eaisier but you need to take things easy.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Its completely normal to have delayed grief when you loose someone very close to you , When my bil died unexpectantly at 34 of a heart attack ,It didnt hit me at the time but it hit me two years later causing a mental breakdown ,We were extremley close and he had seen me threw some very black periods ,And my doc and shrink both told me it was delayed grief ,It was thanks to family and my sis ZB that i finally came to term with his passing , So it might be better for you to deal with if you talk things threw with a family member or a friend to help you come to terms with your loss
Take care hun xxdk
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2008, 05:42 PM
So sorry to hear you're feeling like this. It's all part of the grieving process I'm afraid, there are many stages to grief which you have to go through, all of them, so that you can come out the other side. It sure is a funny old thing, and I've been through it many a time having lost some very dear friends of mine and so young. It may actually be better if you tried to carry on with your work, it might help to take your mind of things, whereas, I know you probably feel you'd like a break to stay home, but then you'll be turning things over in your head all the time, it really is best to keep yourself occupied if you can. I'm so sorry, it's hit you like this, but it's all part and parcel of the grieving process. Take care.
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Yes its is normal to feel out of sorts im still feeling out of sorts and i lost my mum 3 years ago this july she was 83 bless her theres not a day passes where shes not in my thoughts so yer you will feel out of sorts for a while