Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2004, 01:53 PM
what a stupid vet, get another one asap
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2004, 04:50 PM
when i was house training indie we took her out for wee late b4 we went to bed and were also taking her out at about 2-4am cos she couldnt hold it otherwise. Then the next time wud be when we got up at 7-8am.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Hello Jackie welcome. Is this your first puppy? It helps to think of your puppy in terms of a baby, they too need attention during the night when very small. Dogs bladder and anal functions are not fully under control until around four months, so you need to help your puppy to be clean because they are physically unable to wait. When houstraining young puppies I work on the theory the less times they 'go' in the house the better and take them out around once an hour during the day and always after sleep/food/play than praise when they perform and straight back into the house. You will notice your puppy gives signs when he wants to be clean like sniffing the floor and circling. Obviously at night no one is around to see the signals so the puppy has no option but to soil inside. Dogs do not like to soil where they sleep and will avoid doing so if at all possible. For this reason I always take little puppies up to bed with me and put them in very small box lined with a soft cover and a soft toy next to my bed . This way being a light sleeper I hear the slightest noise and can take the puppy out as soon as it wakes and needs to go..then quickly outside and lots of praise when it does, I would also offer a drink of water before going back to bed . I only need to do this for a short time, then the puppy progresses to a box in the kitchen and I go down to take it out extending the time as it grows. I prefer to have the puppy with me to begin with so that it has every opportunity to go when it needs to, I find with this method puppies learn what is expected very quickly and have few accidents. Regarding water, I would never restrict a dogs water for any reason, dry food is dehydrated and the dog must have water to digest it, restricting water can make you puppy ill particularly in hot weather.
The effort you put in at this early stage will be well rewarded with a very clean dog and happy dog good luck.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-12-2004, 10:36 AM
I used to take Star out at about midnight and then again at 6am. She was always really good at night, she slept right through.

The daytime was another matter though. I found it harder then.
jackie120uk
New Member!

09-12-2004, 05:57 PM
hi no it is not my first puppy george is 12 now and i seem to have forgotten how long it takes it is all a blur now . Henry(the pup) is getting better i think i got up last night and he was dry this morning so fingers crossee
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Aww that's great Jackie
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2004, 06:27 PM
aw have fun with your pup because as you know he wont be like it for long. max was hard work at the beginning but its all a distant memory now and he was as good as gold really he only ecver made a noise in the night 3 times and we crate trained him so he never wet in the night and was dry in the house within a week. max drinks loads but i thought it was quite normal and he has access to watter 24hours a day
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2004, 05:58 PM
From day one I have taken Loki out first thing in the morning, after every nap, after every meal and after he gets excited. And I take him out every hour and a half anyway. He is 12 weeks old and will cry at the door now if he needs to go. When I go to the garden with him I say, "be clean" (you can say anything, it's a trigger word) and when he goes I give him a treat and praise him vigorously. This has really worked to the extent that he was crying at my mum's house and I pointed at the newspaper and said, "be clean" and he did on command.

He doesn't always manage to go through the night but he does cry to warn us that he needs to go. We don't always get there in time though ...

HTH
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2