Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2004, 07:00 PM

Jumping Up

I don't know if anyone has asked about this before...but...here goes...

Teagan likes to jump up to greet people when they come in the house. She also likes to jump up at me to get attention...but if i'm sitting on the computer chair, I end up at the other side of the room!!

When she jumps up when we're standing up, someone told me to ignore her, and turn our back on her. I tried that, but she just jumps on your back or side.
When she does it when i'm sitting down, I try and push her down (but being on wheels, and her being 6 stone, it takes a few pushes!) I've tried telling her no, and to get down, but nothing seems to work!

Any help appreciated please!!
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2004, 07:08 PM
lol hevvur!!wish i could help but despite trying the ignoring, gently pushing, shouting down etc etc i have four jack in a boxes here.if you manage to stop teagan let me know how you do it
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Luna does the same thing. Cant stop her either.....
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2004, 08:09 PM
I thought about super glue, then realised she'd not be able to walk anywhere either

Then again....
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2004, 08:13 PM
lol what makes me laff is candy and bud can get higher than the labs, im gonna have to stop them though cos i dont want them jumping on me when i come home from hospital
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2004, 08:15 PM
well we say 'off' to max and he knows he needs all his feet on the floor if i say off. its universal for jumping on people, kids, tables, or mother in law! i say off and he does it. i used to pull him off and say off and he soon got the hang of it. he still goes to do it but we say off and he looks all hurt and gets down
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2004, 08:19 PM
I know the 'pose' teagan gets into before she jumps, and I do say off/down then, but half the time she ignores me!!
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2004, 08:43 PM
well if she ignores you then kind of gently force her off every time until she does it of her own accord
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-11-2004, 01:56 AM
What happens if you tell her to 'sit' when you know a jump is likely? A dog cannot jump and sit at the same time

If the sit will not work then turning your back & ignoring is probably the best way to deal with the issue. Ignore really does mean ignore: turn, fold arms, gaze at the ceiling, say nothing. As soon as she stops praise her. With this method it is to be expected that, initially, the dog will redouble her efforts to get your attention. If you can persevere in ignoring her through this extinction burst then the behaviour will taper off and cease.

The paw-holding method will work with some dogs as does the knee-block, but these are techniques which I would not use myself.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2004, 08:36 AM
try going down to her level so she has no need to come up.
its excitment and we had the same with toby when he was younger.
we tried ignoring it and saying no etc but it didn't help much.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >