Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
That reminds me of this awesome post:

(You can find this super awesome blog post by googling "The Myth of Normal Dogs" and clicking on the second link down.)

Ok guys no offense but this is ridiculous. I linked to a BLOG not a forum....WTF? Why is this site so against sharing information sometimes? Adam can link to stupid videos but I can't even link to a good blog post???
just spent about half an hour reading various blogs on there, will have to save as a favourite
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 08:48 PM
ame response is simply that, you say his name & he looks at you, anytime any place anywhere!
Ah, at home he is excellent with this. Get him out of the house however and he's sooooo busy scanning the environment that I cease to exist. He appears to be extremely stressed on leash walks. Off leash on the field he's nowhere near as hypervigilant and more relaxed and responsive but not brilliant. I've tried clicking and treating for him turning to look at me in response to his name but it's still iffy.

Using his dinner (like you say you have done) often can tip the status Quo in your favor, How long did you try it for (just doing it, no asking for anything,no distractions)
Around 4 months of just hand feeding him his dinner in the living room which oddly enough was the least distracting room as everyone sat in the kitchen. Then roughly the same amount of time asking for simple things such as sit.
Have you had him on a lead inside the house & ask him to come everywhere with you? & then really praise him for it?
I've done this without a leash several times for days at a time. I've found a leash gets in my way when I'm trying to do anything or I end up stepping on him because it keeps him too close.

Are you "touching him" when hes focased "away"? either by hand or lead?
I've tried touching him, he doesn't appear to notice the touch any more than he does anything else. If I just stand there and wait we end up standing there waiting until the prey has disappeared from sight.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Ah, at home he is excellent with this. Get him out of the house however and he's sooooo busy scanning the environment that I cease to exist. He appears to be extremely stressed on leash walks. Off leash on the field he's nowhere near as hypervigilant and more relaxed and responsive but not brilliant. I've tried clicking and treating for him turning to look at me in response to his name but it's still iffy.

Around 4 months of just hand feeding him his dinner in the living room which oddly enough was the least distracting room as everyone sat in the kitchen. Then roughly the same amount of time asking for simple things such as sit.

I've done this without a leash several times for days at a time. I've found a leash gets in my way when I'm trying to do anything or I end up stepping on him because it keeps him too close.

I've tried touching him, he doesn't appear to notice the touch any more than he does anything else. If I just stand there and wait we end up standing there waiting until the prey has disappeared from sight.
* How did you teach the name response?

* stress on the lead , whats he like on a flexi ?
will he play with the lead tuggy etc?

* i wouldnt WAnt you too touch him

* do you haveany "key" (emergency) words introduced /taught with play?

* have you ever just "stopped" training, for a few months & just done "nothing" /all pressure"off"

*******Ps sorry for being nosey, just trying to help
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 09:23 PM
* How did you teach the name response?
Say his name, click and treat for any response to it and built up to him having to look at me for the click/treat.
* stress on the lead , whats he like on a flexi ?
will he play with the lead tuggy etc?
I've only used a flexi out in the garden with him. I find them really uncomfortable to hold and don't really trust them not to break. He won't play tug with anything let alone the leash. I've managed to clicker train him to tug for about 5 seconds in the house but he's not really interested.
* i wouldnt WAnt you too touch him

* do you haveany "key" (emergency) words introduced /taught with play?
No.
* have you ever just "stopped" training, for a few months & just done "nothing" /all pressure"off"
Not for a few months but I have stopped for several weeks a few times. More out of frustration at getting nowhere than anything.
*******Ps sorry for being nosey, just trying to help
No worries
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Videos!

I suspect you are actually moving the goalposts Adam.
We are not just talking about frustration, we are talking about your perpetual dig re. "negative" stuff occurring before positive reinforcement if a treat is expected (ie in the pocket). This lie used by shock collar people so that they can then pretend that actually, using pos. reinforcement is negative training and uses punishment

You can't back it up
I thought not, because it's impossible to back it up.
Because it does not exist in that way.

One more chance, then you have to stop continually pushing this fib.

Wys
Its pretty simple really, dog wants reward but isn't getting it until its behaviour changes.
The behaviour it was doing first is negatively punished.

I think I gave an example of luring from sit to down, sit is punished because it doesn't get the reward so the dog changes its behaviour to get the reward.

Bellon (top ring sport trainer) talks about frustration increasing motivation in the vids, this is similar and will also involve aversive due to the dog wanting rid of frustrations.
IT could be argued that even reward based training utilises aversives because the neg punishment state is aversive (frustrating/depressing/whatever) so the dog changes its behaviour to relieve the aversive state.

The thing to mremember with these (proper) science terms is they are not related to emotional judgement of the training or advertising ect, they are just terms.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Adam, on other forums you have said yourself that you need to proof a taught behaviour and that it takes repetition over time to achieve behaviour proofing. Have you changed your mind on this? If so, why - it's only a short while ago that you said it
I still agree with it but theres a diff between time and repititions. I'm thinking in terms of learning repititions 9many in short period) as opposed to our expectation of time 9days weeks ect)

I have found it is possible to teach/proof a behaviour in a short period, it will require maintenance but not neccasarily ongoing training!

Adam
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Its pretty simple really, dog wants reward but isn't getting it until its behaviour changes.

I think I gave an example of luring from sit to down, sit is punished because it doesn't get the reward so the dog changes its behaviour to get the reward.

Bellon (top ring sport trainer) talks about frustration increasing motivation in the vids, this is similar and will also involve aversive due to the dog wanting rid of frustrations.
IT could be argued that even reward based training utilises aversives because the neg punishment state is aversive (frustrating/depressing/whatever) so the dog changes its behaviour to relieve the aversive state.

The thing to mremember with these (proper) science terms is they are not related to emotional judgement of the training or advertising ect, they are just terms.

Adam
I get really irritated when people loosely abuse the word "science" when they have no knowledge of anything scientific. Your post is flawed because you do not have any scientific background.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Really? Seeing as you have researched me so well I think you know different lol.

Adam
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Really? Seeing as you have researched me so well I think you know different lol.

Adam
There is nothing scientific about you or what you do.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 10:45 PM

Adam, we know this is what you "believe" but I am asking for genuine science here, not mumblings about this, that or the other. I think you once claimed it was from Skinner - but it's not, is it?

...... More examples are not needed, therefore. Just where it came from. And I don't mean BB.
Goalpost moving.

Adam, I asked you to prove what you have said. You are talkling about OC (sorry to those who are bored by this, please ignore this and related posts).

This has to be thrashed out because you KEEP using it as LIE to pretend that reward based training is actually unpleasant for the dog. That is below the belt.

Therefore you HAVE to be able to back this up SCIENTIFICALLY whether you like it or not. Due to the fact you are talking about what happens during OC.

I've had conversations with Bob Bailey about this, not Bart Bellon and until we can know for sure what an animal is thinking, we can only go on observable behaviour. in science when talking about OC. Therefore pos. reinforcement in OC does not involve using negative punishment first.

If you cannot prove scientifically that using positive reinforcement is the same as using negative training at the same time, which you cannot, then please desist from your claims that is it true.

Wys
Page 31 of 38 « First < 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 > Last »