Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 07:38 PM

Raw "lights"

Have any of you raw feeders out there got any experience of feeding lights (lungs)? When I was a child, my mother always cooked up lights for the cat, but I have just been given a massive great bag of raw lights by our butcher for free and have judiciously chopped them all up and put them in boxes in the freezer. I don't want to feed my dogs cooked meat, and I can see no reason why I shouldn't feed them raw lights. I have tested them all, including the chihuahua, on a piece of raw lung and nearly lost my hand in each case, so at least I know they like them! They are all Panacur'd regularly, so I don't need to worry about lungworm (although I am not sure whether lungs contain lungworm, I know snails do!).

Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Best to ask somewhere like BritBarf, although they seem to be ambivalent about whether 'lights' are considered offal.

I would doubt that large animals get lungworm. Seems to be something more specific to dogs, passed on by snails & slugs, and you are more likely to get those in your back garden than in a big field or steer yard.

I'd feed it if I had any.... Many years ago my pet ferrets were fed raw, they had lungs & lights & whatever came free from the local butcher.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Best to ask somewhere like BritBarf, although they seem to be ambivalent about whether 'lights' are considered offal.

I would doubt that large animals get lungworm. Seems to be something more specific to dogs, passed on by snails & slugs, and you are more likely to get those in your back garden than in a big field or steer yard.

I'd feed it if I had any.... Many years ago my pet ferrets were fed raw, they had lungs & lights & whatever came free from the local butcher.
Thanks Merlins, good idea re BritBarf. I used to go on there a lot, but have no idea of my password any more though!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 09:12 PM
I've fed lights in an economy mince made by Landywoods(I think) Mine were fine with it
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2010, 10:33 PM
You could always buy yourself a food dehydrator off ebay stick the lungs into that and when its done you will have puff jerky thats all jerky is that they sell in the pet shops its dehydrated or freeze dried lungs
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
You could always buy yourself a food dehydrator off ebay stick the lungs into that and when its done you will have puff jerky thats all jerky is that they sell in the pet shops its dehydrated or freeze dried lungs

Mmmmm ... sounds SCRUMMY !! Actually, the boys tucked into it. Tai went absolutely mad for it, Ben was less enthusiastic but did eat it, and the little man - chihuahua - spent a good hour munching his way through each piece! So that is great news. I will bear in mind the dehydrator though for training treats. If I am going to be given freebies every week, this will be a brilliant way of dealing with the lights! It did take me well over an hour last night to chop it all up and box it up into freezer boxes.

The cat had cooked lights, and she ADORED them !!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
I've fed lights in an economy mince made by Landywoods(I think) Mine were fine with it
thanks for that positive feedback, I am intending to mix what i've got up with the Landywoods minced beef and veg and lamb and veg that we buy, to eek it out, so this is going really well so far ! OH reports no explosions either, which I feared, so finger's crossed, all good news so far!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2010, 12:36 AM
This is something I must ask my butcher for, bar whole "prey" my two haven't had lung really.

Have you not converted your cat to raw Gnasher? I have heard they can be harder to convince.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Some dogs don't like the texture of lites, they are kind of 'spongy' rather than solid meat. Some dogs have a similar problem with raw liver.

If mixed with other things dogs will usually eat it .
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Some dogs don't like the texture of lites, they are kind of 'spongy' rather than solid meat. Some dogs have a similar problem with raw liver.

If mixed with other things dogs will usually eat it .
Absolutely, I have found this with Ben. I mix the raw lights in with a little of the cat's cooked lights and the Landywoods and he eats it then. It is typical that Ben should be like this ... he is his father's son !!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >