View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 01:42 AM

Can dogs recognize specific breeds by sight?

...and react to them based on prior experiences with dogs that looked similar?

In my purely anecdotal experience, I say yes, they can.

My dog from the day I adopted her is drawn do classically marked German Shepherds. Most dogs she could give a toss about, she is more of a people dog. But she gets very excited if she spots a GSD. My theory is she had positive contact with a GSD during her first year of life.

Now, Moxie once went up to the wrong GSD and that dog went for her. Hasn't changed how she feels about GSD's in general, but last time I we saw that dog, the GSD bored holes through Moxie with her eyes and Moxie avoided all contact with the dog, completely ignored her which is very unusual when there is a GSD in the room. Clearly, that GSD remembered Moxie. And maybe Moxie recognized that particular GSD. That or Moxie picked up on that GSD's body language and went into calming signal mode.

Moxie doesn't have any breed of dog she doesn't like, but will avoid Aussies at all costs, again, she's been attacked by two different Aussies. She does not show fear of any other dog of any kind.

So it begs the question. Is she recognizing the different breed of dog, or is she picking up on oh so subtle signals those dogs are putting off? If its the signals, then why didn't she pick up those signals off the GSD that attacked her? And why does she avoid Aussies who are making every effort to play with her with all sorts of possitive friendly submissive postures?

What do you think?
gyalis_star
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2010, 02:58 AM
Hummm that's a good question,I've always thought my dog hated jack russels because the 1st time I ever took her out as a pup 1 started barking and goin nuts at her but I'd say it kinda put her off dogs smaller than and her own size because she really likes bigger dogs such as mastiffs,what I will say is its proberly the body language that they pick up on lat ur dog can proberly smell that its the same dog that bit her I think that they do recognize colours and markings because my dog is def drawn to other dogs with similar colours as her regardless of the size ps woooooooo 1st post!
Findley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-05-2010, 07:07 AM
My deerhounds do know their own when we go to a show they make a bee line for other deerhounds.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
...and react to them based on prior experiences with dogs that looked similar?

So it begs the question. Is she recognizing the different breed of dog, or is she picking up on oh so subtle signals those dogs are putting off? If its the signals, then why didn't she pick up those signals off the GSD that attacked her? And why does she avoid Aussies who are making every effort to play with her with all sorts of possitive friendly submissive postures?

What do you think?
I'm interested in this as well as since my Enzo has turned 1 he has started barking at certain dogs, it began with one particular springer who had played a bit rough with him and then seemed to spread to other breeds/sizes. At first I thought it was just big dogs but when I started observing him a bit more carefully I realised it was more targeted and so lurchers, for example, are given the benefit of the doubt but spaniels tend to get the bark first ask questions later approach! And it appears to be irrespective of their body language or approach.

J.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Skye had a bad experience with a bullbreed, and since has always without doubt stayed well away from that type, but something more interesting....that dog was Tan coloured, and its only tan coloured ones she stay well away from, she will go in a half circled sweep to pass them Anyother colour she just walks passed
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2010, 08:46 AM
My previous dog Rusty didn't like golden retrievers. I've no idea why, she was a rescue dog but used to go out of her way to avoid them and wouldn't let them come near me. I could pet any other dogs in the park but not a golden retriever.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by gyalis_star View Post
Hummm that's a good question,I've always thought my dog hated jack russels because the 1st time I ever took her out as a pup 1 started barking and goin nuts at her but I'd say it kinda put her off dogs smaller than and her own size because she really likes bigger dogs such as mastiffs,what I will say is its proberly the body language that they pick up on lat ur dog can proberly smell that its the same dog that bit her I think that they do recognize colours and markings because my dog is def drawn to other dogs with similar colours as her regardless of the size ps woooooooo 1st post!
Welcome!!

I would say a resounding YES!! Mia used to be able to spot a GSD on the horizon (she hates them)
Thankfully she is getting better and has even made friends with some
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 05:13 PM
I think so yes, Tilly loves Springer spaniels, I think due to the fact that her friend is one & also after an unpleasant experience with a GSD - she doesn't like them - she will actually hide from them - until she is sure they are not gonna be grumpy with her!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 05:34 PM
I have to agree with the others. I'm not sure if it's the movement of the particular breed, shape of the head, etc. but I do think dogs recognize breed characteristics.

My dog LOVES Border Collies, Austalian Shepherds, and Golden Retrievers. We actually believe she's a mix of those breeds so I wonder if she's not just gravitating to "her own" as it were. Maybe she recognizes somehow that those dogs play like she wants to?

She is nervous around GSDs. Our neighbor's poorly bred and dog aggressive puppy had a go at her one time and ever since then she'll see "Dog" from a distance, want to approach, and then try to get away when she realizes the dog is a GSD. Sad, because we've met some lovely ones who just want to play!
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Bailey ignores most dogs when out on a walk, except for GSD's, he will make a b-line for them and have a good sniff, I think this is because sometimes we will see one or two of his siblings while out walking they are the only ones he will run off and play with. Shady is a X breed so any dog takes her fancy
Tilly tho is very strange she doesn't particularly like any dog. But, what upsets me about her tho is, if we happen to bump into any of her pups she goes Ballistic. and not long ago I was already in the park with Bailey and my daughter rang me and said she would meet us there and bring Tilly with her, when Tilly saw Bailey she was very very aggressive with him it was scary to see
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >