View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
manxie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-12-2007, 01:11 PM
taking her back to initial vet at 1.50 pm - phoned this am and arranged same. Spoke to a few local people re hygiene concerns - they take own bedding when their animals have had ops there but say this vet does improve her general hygiene arrangements when operating- so thats some reassurance. Will let you all know what the outcome of todays appt is-
Mean while Nell seemes even more lethargic- will only take water on hand - not from bowl at side of bed this am. Hasnt moved from her bed since 2am last night- so Im very glad they agreed to see here earlier than they planned.
Thanks for all help,
Manxie
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi Manxie, hope all goes well at the vets.. xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 02:00 PM
I hope all goes well, I haven't read the middle of this thread yet, but just wanted to say I've had two big gsd's with pyometra and on both occasions the vets didn't wait, they operated IMMEDIATELY. One of them, he told me had a uterus the size of a torch when it should have been the size of a biro pen because there was so much puss there!!! I can't believe a vet will let an animal stay in this state with a life threatening condition! All that poison in her body no wonder she's feeling so awful. If this were me, I'd blooming insist they operate and NOW! Sorry, but I know what a risk my dogs were under after they had operated on both of them, and this is why I just cannot understand your vet thinking ab's will kill the infection before they take them out. Yes, no surgeon wants to operate with a raging infection going on because there is a massive risk of it spreading, but I'd want it out! All the very best, you must be beside yourselves watching your poor dog suffering like this.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 03:15 PM
I do hope she is operated on soon poor lamb, she must be in pain

I think I'd still be inclined to take her elsewhere, especially when you say "Spoke to a few local people re hygiene concerns - they take own bedding when their animals have had ops there but say this vet does improve her general hygiene arrangements when operating- so thats some reassurance"

I do hope Nell gets the treatment she needs soon and makes a speedy recovery xx
Meg
Supervisor

31-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
I do hope she is operated on soon poor lamb, she must be in pain

I think I'd still be inclined to take her elsewhere, especially when you say "Spoke to a few local people re hygiene concerns - they take own bedding when their animals have had ops there but say this vet does improve her general hygiene arrangements when operating- so thats some reassurance"

I do hope Nell gets the treatment she needs soon and makes a speedy recovery xx
This whole thing has been causing me concern since Manxie first posted I note that Manxie is on the IOM and I know she has tried another vet who is away, not sure how plentiful vets are on the IOM.
manxie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Dear All,
Ok I do feel somewhat reassured- we attended surgery again as I said we were- different vet - scanned Nells womb- no obvious sign of Pyometra at all!? She does have infection as temp remains 39.7 despite two antibiotic injections, and her glands remain swollen. Blood results showed raised white cells too and mild anemia (prob caused by poor eating in past week or so). I wonder if she has pyometra at all? My daughter has had trachyitis and Nells "voice" seems very strange and not like hers at all when she does give a little bark. I begin to wonder if she has some type of dog flu and the pseudo pregnancy? especially as vet could see no sign of any pus in her womb at all. Either way she has had another antibiotic injection and there is obviously little risk of her womb rupturing immediately in this circumstance.
I have been able to tempt her to eat and drink since this morning and she has shown small signs of some slight recovery- out of basket a little bit - begging for fodd of plates a little, walking round room a little.
Vet wants to see her again Wednesday - so thanks for all advise and help and reassurance- I do wish theyd sanned her first! I wouldnt have had to go through this worry then. I'll keep you updated.
Love Manxie
PS there are two other vets on island - one is a 25 mile drive away though, and the other I know nothing of and has no web site. I guess I worry I could jump from the pan into the fire as such! The one I e mailed has a god looking website and looks modern and well run with clean surgery etc so I gave that a chance but they have no one available till 2nd and locals say they are more interested in money than the animals. That is why I was with this vet - she a least seems to care about the animals but has a somewhat chaotic and less than clean surgery! Ive never had an animal had an op there so I asked around a few friends who have and they seems to all say shes ok with hygiene in surgery and is good surgeon and will operate at whatever time night or day if necessary which is apparnetly diffenrent from the others! So on whole Ive judged it best at mo to stay where I am.
Obvioulsy there is a gap here for a vet with hygiene and animal compassion!!
Love Manxie
Meg
Supervisor

31-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi Manxie that is good news, I hope Nell continues to improve

The thing that concerned me most was I have not heard of a bitch having full blown Pyometra for a week, they don't survive that long.

I would feed Nell tiny light meals of rice and chicken or fish, just a tablespoon at a time and if she etas it the same again an hour or so later. Also try the honey in water I mentioned previously.
manxie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Yes Minihaha, it is good news - I feel much better- obviously there is infection somewhere but maybe not pypmetra despite vets initial diagnosis. It was how long shed been like this that was bothering me too! but now Ive seen the scan at least I can relax to a degree.
I will follow your advice re diet, and I'll keep you posted too.
Love Manxie
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Well, relatively good news now then. At least if she's perking up slightly, she might even be getting over some infection or other, even a bad cold or dog flu perhaps like you say. Bless her little cottons, and thank God it wasn't pyometra!! All the very best for her.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Glad Nell has perked up a little, and you have been to the vet and they have ruled out pyometra
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >