Our sister sites
Our sister sites
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
This is what I like to see, well in my breed anyways,
Nero, nice square profile, nice pasterns and a proud stance.

Caesar, the same, but you'll notice they've got different body styles, Caesar has a slightly longer body.

All too often in the rottie breed their legs are too short, the breed standard is body length to height 9/10 in other words from chest to rump and paws to withers should be nearly the same, hope I've expained it clearly.

Isn't it weird, but from my view the top dog looks longer, but maybe it's the reach of neck that is actually making it look that way!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Could someone post a labelled diagram of a dog with arrows to all these parts?
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 12:19 PM
This looks to be a good one -

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/misc/pointsof_dog.shtml
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks Pod, that is a great help to all of us new to this.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by perrodeagua View Post
Isn't it weird, but from my view the top dog looks longer, but maybe it's the reach of neck that is actually making it look that way!
I've measured them Perro and Nero is 27 x 26 inches, Caesar is 28 x 26.
The breed standard for dogs is 25 - 27 inches high at withers, for bitches it's 24 - 26 inches.

The pics were perhaps taken at different angles, it does look as you said but when you see them in the flesh so to speak, they're totally different.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Here you go, bandit is weak in both front and rear pasterns

Rear

Front

As you can see , he walks very much on his heel, and as a result does not wear his nails down...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Hi Rip,

Please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious but in the past I've been surprised how many people don't know that dogs have front AND rear pasterns. The hock is the joint above the rear pastern, the rear pastern is the bit between the hock joint and the floor.

The difference between the two needs to be understood when thinking about faults like cow or sickle hocks, for instance.

Just thought that needed to be pointed out.

Debs
No don't worry, I can be thick but I'm not that thick!

I've been studying Pods diagram posted (albeit on a different site) so knew the different points of the dog, just not what certain "phrases" of the points actually look like.

Originally Posted by pod View Post
Firstly, got to agree with Debs. Many people do confuse the rear pastern with hocks. I've seen many critiques which incorrectly state "nice short hocks" .... and I probably wrote it myself 20 years ago The joint is the hock and the part of the leg below it, to the foot, is the rear pastern. A well let down hock is one which is close to the ground ie the rear pastern is short.

The angle of the front pastern is dependent on bone construction and soft tissue. The angle, and so flexibilty of the pastern, does usually follow the general construction of the dog. Eg you wouldn't expect a well angled pastern on a breed with an upright front with forward placed upper arm like the Fox Terriers. These types of breeds tend also to have upright pasterns.

Breeds which have more accentuated angulation all round, like the Rottweiler and German Shepherd, also tend to have more sloping pasterns. Over angulation and so also weak pasterns are faults that often occur in the GSD.

A front pastern that is strong and flexible is not upright but has a slight but not excessive angle.
Thanks for that Pod, very helpful!

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Here you go, bandit is weak in both front and rear pasterns

Rear

Front

As you can see , he walks very much on his heel, and as a result does not wear his nails down...
Thanks for that, that helps alot!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Oh I have a perfect pic of Maddy to describe this but it's on a disc somewhere, i'll be back with it at some point, you know what I am like!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Oh I have a perfect pic of Maddy to describe this but it's on a disc somewhere, i'll be back with it at some point, you know what I am like!
Cool, thanx!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2