Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 09:39 PM

Female Contraceptives

I have been on Femodene for the last while, but apparently because I am now 40 I am approaching the time where it will no longer be effective for me...(a polite way of saying I'm getting older).

I've had a look at the choices, apparently I can take a different version of what I am on..the mini pill. Or I can have the implants...I'm not sure of the implants, my friend tried them and she had nothing but problems, however, that may be a one off...she had other health issues too

At the moment the implant appears to be the way to go but I'm not sure. Have any of you any experience of these?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Lore my daughter does have - she's had two implants. She had probs with the mini pill. Then she had some probs with the implants but not sure of details now. I will ask her tomorrow. In fact I'm not sure what she's 'on' now. But I know she is on 'something' as she is not all that fond of children at all! She never was really but developed a total allergy to them when she started teaching lol!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Hi again Lore. Just heard back from Jen and this is what she said:

The implant was fine for me for the first two years, I had a period about every three months. After that though i kept having a period every 10 days and spotting inbetween, so they put me on the pill at the same time. After that it went back to being bad again so they took it out and put a new one in. However that didnt help either so now I don;t have it anymore and am back on the combined pill.

I'd still recommend they try it as I know loads of people who have no problems whatsoever on it, and its one of the most reliable (not affected by sickness etc).

Otherwise, maybe the injection (every 3 months) is a good idea, or back on a different pill. The advantage of implant is it is progesterone only, and therefore doesnt have the oestrogen in it that puts you more at risk of breast cancer and DVT (especially if you fly a lot or smoke)

Worth a try I'd say!
Hope that helps.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Thanks for that I just wasn't sure. I'll go for the implant.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-07-2013, 11:20 AM
I've got the implant but I keep having spotting and irregular periods so I was also on the pill (loestrin, a low estrogen pill because estrogen makes me go crazy). With that it's going brilliantly. I've just stopped the pill now to see if my periods have settled. But I really do like the implant, never have to worry or think as with the pill. I don't trust the pill alone (1 in 100 get pregnant on the pill as opposed to 1 in 1000 with the implant).
Hope you find a good solution!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-07-2013, 12:42 PM
ive always been on microgynon 30 i guess its a 'mini' pill?

never had any problems doc always asks whether i want the implant when i go for a prescription but im a picker and if it freaked me out id pick it out dont like the thought of not being in control of what happens to my little bod pills you can take or not implant - yeuck!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2013, 06:04 PM
heard only horror stories with the implant of constant bleeding etc etc. but I'm sure there are many many many happy users and if you've done your research there can be no harm in it!
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Hiya, I took rather drastic measures and wish I'd done it sooner, I'm 37 my daughter is 21 and I got sterilized, I'm not gonna have any more kids, I have a daughter and a grandson. I wish I'd done it sooner to be honest. I had it done in December and have had 2 day periods every 4 to 5 weeks since, I'm no longer tired all the time etc.

On a different note my daughter has just had the implant removed, she's had it for 2 years and has had nothing but problems.

I never had a problem on femodene but guess they would have told me the same as you when I got to 40. I just couldn't stand the thought of getting a coil etc

Not sure if I've helped but good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Tracy xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Yes I know it is the Daily Mail, but...

Dummy implant used by mistake
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2013, 09:52 AM
I had Mirena put in 3 years ago, not for contracteption, but to treat very heavy periods, which were leaving me anaemic and my immune system was crashing every month.

The first 2 years were brilliant! No periods, no mood swings, no spots, no sore throats and migraine every 4 weeks......

The last 12 months or so have been a bit of a nightmare. I've had some awful mood swings and I've started to get migraines and overwhelming feelings of being tired each month again, along with feeling definite traces of what feels like period pain every few weeks too.

My GP is a bit useless. He says there are 'no problems' with Mirena and since it releases a constant low dose of Progesterone, it 'can't' be responsible for fluctuations in mood, or any other cyclical side effects. Aparently, it does nothing to regulate the Oestrogen cycle though and that could still be having unfortunate effects on me.....but because I too am ancient (41 ) and have migraines, I can't take any Oestrogen supplements.

Fortunately, I found an amazing book called, "Is it me or my Hormones?" which explains how just looking at oestrogen and progesterone levels is pointless because so many other hormones in the body act together. It looks at the importance of diet and lifestyle as well and while my troubles are not yet completely solved, I do feel a lot better in general.

Having said all that - if you're just after a contraceptive, that's probably not helpful!

I'm the opposite! I'd love to have a family but I'm terrified of taking out the Mirena because if I went back to how I was before, with splitting nails, breaking off hair, migraines, tonsilitis and anaemia every 3 weeks I'd be gutted!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >