Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I'm desperate for wooden flooring throughout to be honest but I worry about Woody's joints when he gets zoomies, it's bad enough on that bit in the hallway (as yes I know most of you know ;o)

I just think it makes a house look so clean and neat with wooden flooring and a big rug.
then go for hard wood, and not laminate, its less slippy
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
No you dont,
Why not just tone down the walls a bit, stark white is very clinical, (they look white) some form of cream,

Ringwoold ground (farrow and ball) just an example, you can use any other makes, as these are expensive, but I love the tones of colour they give

Sorry link wont work.
http://www.farrow-ball.com/pws/clien...ium/102003.jpg

You can then add colour to with accessories. try a striped/ checked curtian rather than a plain one, will give you more warmth.

Just an example
http://www.lauraashley.com/curtains+...urtains-guide/

OR..

something like this..

http://mto.lauraashley.com/media/fab...um/3468792.jpg

then you can pick out one colour and use with scatter cushions, maybe even a patterned rug, that will bring warmth into your home, you can add colour onto your walls with large paintings too.
I've never been one for patterns and bold colours but I do think that changing the curtains will make a huge difference. I think I'll start with that and research some patterns.

My Step Mum made me some new cushions for our sofas which I love, but they're turned out to be a different colour than I'd imagined so now I'm stuck with them.

I love green, just adore it, but I don't want to have it with the brown leather sofas because they're very dominant in the room and too much green and brown is not nice, reminds me of those sweets.

Oh and the walls are Dulux Jasmine White and the carpets are much darker brown (and dirtier) than they come out in the pictures.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I wonder is something subtle like this fabric would look nice as curtains?

http://www.cathkidston.co.uk/p-11715...ck-fabric.aspx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

22-01-2011, 11:03 AM
I wonder is something subtle like this fabric would look nice as curtains?

http://www.cathkidston.co.uk/p-11715...ck-fabric.aspx
Although a nice fabric, personally I think its to insipid, you need more colour or pattern in the fabric to make them part of the room.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 11:07 AM
So what colours? Needs to match sofas and cushions really.

I know what you mean though, I just can't seem to get into the bold and bright. It's too scary!

This? http://www.cathkidston.co.uk/p-15062...ck-fabric.aspx

Or pick out the pink bit from the cushions? http://www.fabricrehab.co.uk/fabric....duct=321&cat=3
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
ooooh i just picked up a tester of Mellow Mocha for a bedroom, do you think it would go with a kind of duck egg blue? truth please , coz i havent bought the paints still deciding on colours i dont think it will go, my sister thinks it will.

Sorry to go off topic.
Hmmmm, I think no quite honestly, coz the mellow mocha has a bit of a pinkish tinge (not chavvy pink!), coz I didn't like the yellow type creams, I wanted more of an oatmeal cream, and when you've got so much of it like I have, you actually notice that pinkish hue if you catch my drift?
Here's my lounge with it:

The wall behind the black chair on the right, is more like the actual colour in real life, as it looks a bit grey elswhere and it's not! The walls next to the window are the Simply Pearl, which goes fantastic with Mellow Mocha, it's part of the same colour scheme.

Old pic, Zena just been speyed, but it's the only one I could find of that other end of the lounge!

I chose it because all these colours go fantastic with the colour of that carpet, and it isn't really as "grey" as it looks, it's more the actual colour of that carpet there.

If you went for a really pale duck egg blue, I would think it would go with it, but if you went for an in yer face duck egg blue then it wouldn't! What I'm trying to say is, if you went actually lighter with the blue, than this mocha colour, it could actually go nicely?

If you look at the "Dogsey" colour, the paler shade around these post boxes, it's very much like that, the little pale strip around the white box, not the larger outside strip lol! I'm rabbiting a bit here, but my finger's better and I can type again!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 11:35 AM
So what colours? Needs to match sofas and cushions really.

I know what you mean though, I just can't seem to get into the bold and bright. It's too scary!

This? http://www.cathkidston.co.uk/p-15062...ck-fabric.aspx

Or pick out the pink bit from the cushions? http://www.fabricrehab.co.uk/fabric....duct=321&cat=3
Never do that, coz paintwork on walls stays there a lot, lot longer than any cushions stay in your lounge, you could regret doing that, I did it once! It's much cheaper to change the cushions than it is to redecorate a room coz you've got bored with the cushions lol!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

22-01-2011, 11:41 AM
You also have to consider the aspect of the room, what looks good in a light bright and airy south facing room may well look blimmin horrible in a north facing room and vice versa.
I can't really advise because I really dislike brown and cream colour schemes, I'm supposed to be decorating my sons lounge for him while he's away and he's left the colour scheme up to me but as he has a beige carpet and brown sofa's I'm struggling a bit because although it will look better when it's done I know I wont like it
mad4jacks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
3 walls primrose lemon, the reccess's either side on the chimney are a pale pastal green, same with the inlay of the window which outlooks into the kitchen.
The actual chimney breast is papered, brown backgrown with lemon chinese type flower&stem travelling up (almost Jasmin looking)
Coving and ceiling are white same as the paintwork and rosewood colour laminated flooring. As our house is over a hundred years old built 1889 we have kept it in a style that compliments the house, we have a stove burner in the fireplace and victorian tiles either side. We;ve just put back in the victorian type cupboards in the reccess's and have a 3 seater brown leather sofa and a 2 seater, rug and coffee table....Oh! and Im mad about smelly candles...often sitting in candle-light instead of the lamps...I hate big lights
We're lucky our house is very deceiving it fools everyone it looks small on the outside but its big inside. As our dining room is through the otherside of the living room thats Clotted cream colour with curtains and a flower decor on the dining table to pick up the Primrose lemon in the living room. I love our house just wish I could pick it up and move it to the countryside
I will hold my hands up i was one who thought it would be SMALL.I amazed when i first went into Steph home!!!!!!! Its amazing i love it.

Im trying to get her to foster me so i can live there with my little un!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 01:35 PM
My whole downstairs is cream,red,gold and mocha.The walls are a gentle gold and the colours come from the curtains, sofas, blinds and other textiles. It is still a work in progress as we are slowly adding personal touches to it after building work.The woodwork is all light oak and we have some driftwood pieces that also tone in too....The textiles all come from the same range but are different textures and patterns etc so it does not look boring......
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >