Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 06:39 PM

Ticks

Poor old Woody really suffered from ticks when we were in Dorset last week. Horrible things! We had to rush him to the vets last Weds as 3 had become embedded in his tummy, which caused a massive infection and he collapsed with a temperature.

It was during this trip that I found out Advocate does NOT kill ticks. I can't be sure but am abit cross that my vets know this is all we give him and didn't warn me.

So, what do you all use to treat your dogs for fleas, ticks and mites etc? I bought some effi??? today from the vets that will do ticks and fleas only and have been told to use Advocate in the autumn/winter when mites are bad but it was £25 for 4x 5 weekly doses!

Can you buy this stuff online?
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 06:44 PM
I didn't realise Advocate doesn't kill ticks!! Bit naughty really. I just use Frontline on all my dogs except Otis who has Advocate coz he gets terrible flea allergies......come to think of it...he's the only one who has had ticks!!!
I may be wrong but doesn't Program tablets repel ticks?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 06:47 PM
It's pretty much a minefield out there regarding what you can kill with what, and I recently did a thorough search on it, and it seems to me that you need something with the ingredient Permethrin (which I don't like personally!) to kill these little critters. Frontline "plus" will kill ticks or I think I'm right in saying Advantix (not advocate, and not advantage they won't), but I don't like the ingredients in those, so don't use them. Ticks can be life threatening, so it really is best to have something to protect them I know that, but you will have to weedle your way through all of the products and find those that do contain the active ingredient to kill the ticks I'm afraid.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Poor Woody
I have always used Frontline and never had any probs.
Hubby was told a couple of weeks ago that Frontline had stopped working because fleas were now immune to it
I was going to speak to our vet next time we went.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 07:06 PM
It really is a minefield.

I've been researching online also but as you say Helen, there are some that do, some that don't and some that are full of stuff the IRA probably use to make car bombs!!!

Advotix is the stuff the vet in Dorset recommended, but mine don't sell it. I'll have a look to see if you can get it online. Otherwise it looks like the only thing I can do is keep an eye on the mites, give him the tick/flea stuff in summer and then the flea/mite stuff in winter when it's damp.

Horrible stuff full stop to be honest! There is a spray apparently that you can spray on the tick but that can take up to 48 hours to kill them! The trouble is, if he gets them whilst we're camping he is sharing a room in the tent with us and I don't want to leave them on him!

We have a hook to remove them, which was successful apart from the tummy one, but he was obviously in lots of pain but other than that it doesn't look like there is a lot out there.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi Pidge, they really are ghastly little creatures aren't they and poor Woody has really suffered.

As Jimmi seems to be a complete tick magnet - there is barely a walk at the moment when he does not come home with at least one attached somewhere - I have totally given up on relying on Frontline or anything else, and just inspect him thoroughly whilst he is standing in the sink having his salt water foot soak I took two off him today with that special hook thing, (then smothered them in boiling water and flushed them down the plughole......putting the plug in afterwards!!! I wouldn't put it past them to come crawling back up again). Frontline is supposed to kill them for up to four weeks, but it does take at least 48 hours and that is too long in my opinion.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Hi Pidge, they really are ghastly little creatures aren't they and poor Woody has really suffered.

As Jimmi seems to be a complete tick magnet - there is barely a walk at the moment when he does not come home with at least one attached somewhere - I have totally given up on relying on Frontline or anything else, and just inspect him thoroughly whilst he is standing in the sink having his salt water foot soak I took two off him today with that special hook thing, (then smothered them in boiling water and flushed them down the plughole......putting the plug in afterwards!!! I wouldn't put it past them to come crawling back up again). Frontline is supposed to kill them for up to four weeks, but it does take at least 48 hours and that is too long in my opinion.
Yep, I agree!

This new stuff is rubbish! The bottle is really hard to squeeze and as he is fearful and tries to bite anyone going near him with a bottle I need something that is quick and easy. I now have a bitten finger, a dog with it all over his back (will it still go into the blood?) and half of it on me!!

Grrrrrrrrr.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 07:44 PM
I haven't used one myself, but a friend has fairly recently tried out an anti-tick (and flea) collar on her dogs. She says it has been fab - since using it, she hasn't found a single tick on them (and she had been having real problems this year).

Might be worth looking at, though you'll have to be careful as to whether you can use one when you've already treated him with something (and whether he can go swimming in it etc). Definitely worth considering though

Touch wood my two haven't been affected badly at all this year - they've only had a couple between them all spring/summer.

ETA just had a quick read, not sure they sound that great for a pet dog who you'll be regularly stroking (plus as Woody's hair is so short at the moment, I'm not sure it will work as effectively). Sounds like a reasonable solution for working dogs (as per my friend) but not so much for pets.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how-does_54061...lar-work_.html
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I haven't used one myself, but a friend has fairly recently tried out an anti-tick (and flea) collar on her dogs. She says it has been fab - since using it, she hasn't found a single tick on them (and she had been having real problems this year).

Might be worth looking at, though you'll have to be careful as to whether you can use one when you've already treated him with something (and whether he can go swimming in it etc). Definitely worth considering though

Touch wood my two haven't been affected badly at all this year - they've only had a couple between them all spring/summer.
The vets in Dorset suggested this too. I think I'l definitely look into it, although he's never had one before so am sure it's the area/time of year. We were in a woodland campsite, with deer/badger etc and long grass walks. Lovely, but tick heaven.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post

ETA just had a quick read, not sure they sound that great for a pet dog who you'll be regularly stroking (plus as Woody's hair is so short at the moment, I'm not sure it will work as effectively). Sounds like a reasonable solution for working dogs (as per my friend) but not so much for pets.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how-does_54061...lar-work_.html

This is interesting because I used flea/tick collars on both of my last two dogs and in spite of the fact that they were running every day in fields where there had been livestock, and both killed rabbits on a regular basis - neither of them ever had fleas or ticks. Not once in 17 and then 15 years respectively.

There was no adverse reaction of any sort either.

With our latest dog, he came already treated with Frontline so I could not use a collar, and I just sort of blindly followed on with the next treatment. I am seriously beginning to consider going back to a collar.........especially as Jimmi absolutely detests the application of Frontline and is distraught for several hours afterwards.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >