Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2008, 10:16 PM

Giardia...Cosmo may have it!

Cosmo's poos have been giving some cause for concern for a while. I posted about it yesterday as we were starting to think it may be the food (he's on Burns Hi Energy Lamb). Anyway, he only had Burns yesterday (not even any of his own poos) and the day before and had terrible dire rear today, so given how close we are to Easter and Bank Holidays (and how we spent our Easter at the vets with Biff and his eye last year), we decided to go to the vet today.
The vet, as soon as she saw him, commented on how well he looks,his coat is amazing and he is just the right size etc. He was wagging away and he presents with NO other symptoms but this intemittent dire rear/soft stools sometimes with mucous. His appetite is brill, he's drinking fine and he's a normal pup in every way.
She examined him, as best she could, he is VERY tickly around his tummy area and as soon as you touch him there, he goes into mad wag and wiggle mode, which had her in fits of laughter, she just couldn't examine him properly, he'd stand still but he was moving from side to side he was wagging so much!!!
The top and bottom of it is, that she thinks it may be giardia, which is pretty common apparently, especially in dogs that like to go in muddy puddles. She asked if he likes to frequent puddles etc and then laughed, she seemed to know Flat Coats so well.
He is on Panacur liquid for 3 days and some massive tablets, that I'm sure must be for horses, 6 of them a day, for 2 days, they are probiotics though. After 3 horse tablets and one dose of panacur his poo was solid as a solid thing about an hour ago so fingers crossed this has cracked the problem as she said she thinks it is very unlikely that it's the Burns.
She said she could send a stool sample off but by the time she'd done that and got it back weith it being Easter Weekend we could have treated him and sorted the problem. We've to go back in 10 days if it isn't cured and she'll do a stool sample then and start looking at food...
Always a story...
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2008, 10:21 PM
One of my terriers periodically went through bouts of having soft and mucous stools and although tested for Giardia nd always found to be negative she always responded well when put on the giardia treatment!
Glad you have hopefully got to the bottom of it. Fingers crossed.
Becky
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2008, 10:22 PM
That's good news about the solid poo. What a little sweetie he sounds with his ticklish tum!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
One of my terriers periodically went through bouts of having soft and mucous stools and although tested for Giardia nd always found to be negative she always responded well when put on the giardia treatment!
Becky
I think it is one of those really pesky conditions isn't it?
Fingers crossed his poos stay good in a few days once the treatments have stopped. (Easter Sunday will be his first day with no treatment....I may have spoken too soon.....)
Originally Posted by elmac13 View Post
That's good news about the solid poo. What a little sweetie he sounds with his ticklish tum!!
He is a nutter. She kept saying to him 'you need to stay still or I can't examine you you muppet!' Which of course made him wag all the more. The trouble is they get down to his level and then put their hands on the sides of his tummy...his best tickle spot in the world, so he has someone close by and they touch him there and he is beside himself!!! He has absolutely no shame whatsoever.
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2008, 10:27 PM
dont know anything about giardia in dogs but i know that as soon as humans are treated correctly for giardia its sorted - hope its the same for Cosmo xxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by zoby View Post
dont know anything about giardia in dogs but i know that as soon as humans are treated correctly for giardia its sorted - hope its the same for Cosmo xxx
Oooo I meant to add that it is a zoonose and is easily given to humans, my son came to the vets with us and she asked how he was. He launced into a quite graphic description of when his last bout of dire rear was...kids huh?!!!
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 12:45 AM
there is a vaccine for it if your dogs routinely go in ponds and stuff we used to give it to the hunting dogsxxx
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 06:16 AM
I hope its all sorted A - fingers crossed - at least Cosmo hasn't been too bothered by things hey -typical FCR!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
there is a vaccine for it if your dogs routinely go in ponds and stuff we used to give it to the hunting dogsxxx
That's interesting, I may ask the vet about that as he is turning into a real water babe! Thanks.
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I hope its all sorted A - fingers crossed - at least Cosmo hasn't been too bothered by things hey -typical FCR!
Pleased to report he has had his pre breakfast and post breakfast poo and both were splendid!
Yes, he isn't phased by very much, he approaches everything with his tail wagging happily. I think he is an extreme example of a dog that likes the vets though, he drags us in if we let him and just adores everyone in there. His tail doesn't stop. I think him always getting biscuits from them has helped as he does like his stomach!!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Becky
http://www.priory.com/vet/giardia.htm
Unless the Elisa technique is used then the other test is only 70% effective at picking up on giardia from on poo sample.
Interesting article.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >