Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
weirdo
New Member!
Female 

15-05-2017, 08:38 AM

A puppy depressed and sad after parvo treatment

Hello, my puppy just undrwent treatment for parvovirus infection - i took him from shelter, and they vaccinated him with attenuated live parvo vaccine just before handing to me, they already saw that the puppy was having loose stools and later vomitted. a week later he developed bloody diarrhoea, he was treated for 16 days by our vet and nearly died several times, but we managed to pull him out of parvo, now he has normal stools, but lost all his soul , appettite and joy of life - is very sad, always laying down, does not play, eats little. he is just 2 months old or even less. he was treated with metronidazole for over 2 weeks twice daily, i don't know what dose he was administered. could you advice whats going on with the puppy? the vet says should give him subQ fluids, he has no veins on his little paws to draw bloods for testing... I already spent a fortune on this little pup, not sure how to help him more. All meds were stopped 5 days ago, yet he does not appear better apart from not having diarrhoea.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Parvo is a very serious illness and, therefore, takes a lot of getting over.

Try feeding him easily digestible foods for a while and giving him time to recover. I wouldn't be overly worried just yet, but would keep a close eye on progress.

Good luck. I hope he fully recovers and is quickly back to being a normal, healthy little puppy
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2017, 09:17 PM
Welcome.
Poor wee guyhe's been through so muchYou have been taking such good care of him,hopefully soon,fingers crossed,he'll be on the mend and getting up to mischief like a happy puppy shouldPlease let us know how he's getting on.(( hugs))
Dr. Dennis Thomas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Parvo is tough because it attacks the immune system, which is required to eliminate the virus. Most shelter puppies come with little natural antibodies because their mothers were not likely protected against these viruses. The fact that the puppy is still alive is remarkable. I am assuming that the vet tested for parvo and did not just assume that this were the case. That said, you just need to nurse the little guy back to health. Hand feed and water if needed. Feed health food and help him build his strength back. We vets like to take credit for saving pets, but in actuality it is the little guy himself who did the work. Good for him.