Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BadgerPwnz
New Member!
Male 

14-04-2017, 10:28 PM

Bulldog-Shitzu Droopy Eyes, Open Mouth

So my 6 year old bulldog-shitzu mix is having issues with his jaw as well as other parts of his face. His jaw is left slightly open and has been for about a day now, and it is quite weak. I kind of tested this by having him pick up a toy (which I believe he did by without muscle) and I tried pulling it from him, which he is normally quite strong, but he put up almost 0 resistance. His eyes are also a bit droopy and have been for a bit longer than his issue with his mouth. I didn't find any bite marks or anything. His body is still quite strong which I figured out by pushing him on his side, and he put up a lot of resistance (about the same as he always does). He sometimes has bouts of sneezing and he also sometimes paws at his ears or eyes, somewhere in that region. The sneezing is quite new but the pawing at his head he has kind of always done. He seems to be able to use his tongue normally (aside from using his jaw and tongue together) and it doesn't have an abnormal texture and it isn't dry at all. I have found multiple things online that seem to match the symptoms and I plan on taking him in one Monday (unfortunately we can't today or over the weekend, unless it is an emergency) and I was wondering if you guys had any ideas as to what it could be. We have spoken to the vet and they said it doesn't seem to be a huge issue and everything is up to date but heart-worm, which he has came back negative for every time he's been to the vet. I am inclined disagree with the severity of what is going on, but like I said we really can't take him in right now.

P.S. I'm really sorry if I broke any rules or anything as far as posting. I have never really used forums, let alone this forum, so I am fairly new to the rule situation. I am just a bit frantic and really worried.
BadgerPwnz
New Member!
Male 

14-04-2017, 11:07 PM
Also, to add, he seems to have an appetite. I gave him his food, which is primarily all hard food and he ate it all, however, I don't think he chewed at all, I think was just using his tongue to get it in his mouth, and then he was swallowing it. If this seems possible, will this cause issues with digestion or anything?
BadgerPwnz
New Member!
Male 

14-04-2017, 11:20 PM
As far as the scratching we have discovered he is definitely scratching his eyes. He doesn't seem to be in any pain other than the irritation that is most likely causing him to scratch his eyes.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Your instincts are telling you that something needs further investigation, I would go back to the vet asap. Has the vet checked for an abscess or broken molar tooth?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2017, 12:10 PM
It could well be an eye, ear or teeth problem or even an allergy. I'm afraid you won't find the answers you are looking for on a forum as your lad definitely needs an expert examination to discover the cause of his problems.

Good luck x
swearondog
New Member!
Male 

11-05-2017, 05:08 PM
I would suggest take her to a vet ASAP. There can be serious problems with her gums.