Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Welshie
New Member!
Female 

01-02-2016, 10:26 AM

Giardia in 8mth old puppy

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can advise on how to help get rid of giardia. My otherwise very health bouncing ESS went from his normal self to getting HGE overnight I rushed him to the emergency vet hospital who diagnosed giardia which apparently is common but alot of dogs dont show signs. He was treated with panacur (and I did my other 2 dogs as a precution, we disinfected the whole house and yard with anigene HD. Hes on a grain free poultry free diet. He had a re-test which came back still positive (was still having soft poos so I thought it might) was given another dose of panacur and metrodixilte (antibiotic) sorry if the spellings wrong but he is still soft in his poos Hes now on B12 vitamin injections for 4 weeks but fine in his self His skin and coat are fine but we still think he has it with his poos being still soft. He is my third dog but I have never experienced this before. I have always picked up straight after the dogs have been for a number 2 and washed the yard down I think the greater possibility is that he picked it up from the outside environment. I have scored the internet but I cannot seem to find alot of research into it. Has anybody else had this experience

Thanks
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-02-2016, 10:43 AM
I think it's nigh on impossible to control with cleaning because it thrives in puddles etc and all of mine have drunk from puddles. Of course you still scrub everything and change the water bucket everyday but you generally can't control the wider environment. I'd persist with the treatment and keep going with it until all signs are gone otherwise it will keep recurring.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-02-2016, 03:29 PM
A good way to combat protozoans is by 'crowding them out' with the use of probiotics - the probiotics don't kill them but they compete for space, slowly pushing them out.

I would also look into wormwood, cloves and black walnut hulls - a combination often used for parasite infection (in humans).
Welshie
New Member!
Female 

01-02-2016, 08:57 PM
Thank you for the advice. I am already giving him probiotics and pre bio tics with Pro kolin entergenic (which is supposed to be very good) but I had not heard about the herbal products I will certainly look into them and the effect on dogs
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-02-2016, 09:02 PM
Let us know what you find Debs. I have often though that dogs/wolves obtain some sort of benefit from chewing roots - I wish there was a study to determine which plants they go for as I'm sure it could shed some light on canine health.
Welshie
New Member!
Female 

06-02-2016, 03:19 PM
Hi Azz

I've done a bit of research on the herbs you suggested. Most of it appears to be from the USA most of them are natural wormers rather than against giardiasis. Wormwood & black walnut hulls seem to need careful monitoring because if their potency. Clove grapefruit seed extract and pumpkin seeds kept appearing as natural workers as well. Garlic seems to be the one that the sites said for giardia but again short term. The main consensus on giardia is as you said long term prebiotic & probiotics extra fibre I.e shredded carrots and 0.5 clove garlic a day and disinfecting down every time he has a number 2 😄
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-02-2016, 06:01 PM
Garlic can be toxic to dogs so if you use that start with low doses. Shredded carrots are an excellent source of natural fibre

Also, don't want to scare you, but you might want to get tested too the other source could be a family member. If that's the case I would want to get the whole family treated.