View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 01:22 AM

Puppy won't take Giardia medicine.. HALP!!

So, the vet called back with Nigredo's fecal results... *drum roll* Positive for Giardia! No surprise there as he's a shelter dog. Not a big deal either based on my readings. Nigredo is asymptomatic and otherwise healthy, but because of his age.. the vet wanted to treat it. Alrighty then!

So I went and got his medicine today. I've never had a dog with this and had no idea what the medicine was. Turns out it's a powder, given for 5 days with his food. I'm like "A powder for dogs?" The vet said it tasted bad to dogs and that it is difficult to administer to some puppies, Nigredo not being an exception...

I tried putting a little on some canned food, but Nigredo said NOPE! I then soaked his normal semi moist puppy food and put a little on there and he said NOPE! I even got a piece of baked chicken and put a tiny taste on there and he said NOPE! A bit of wet cat food? NOPE! I'm only using a tiny little bit so as not to waste it and he's not having it at ALL!

I don't want to have to force it to him, he's not even 16 weeks so it could choke him or something. What on Earth should I do? Like I said, never had to give a dog powder like this.. so it's throwing me for a loop.

If it was a pill, this would be WAY easier. But it's quite a lot of powder he has to take each day and I really can't figure out how to get it all in him. Any suggestions are appreciated, I don't want to waste any more of the crap. Thanks!
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2013, 05:34 AM
can you mix it with water, that it's getting a kinda liquid paste?
then maybe you could fill a syringe and get it right in the back of his mouth

well, it would be rather to force him to take it
but I can't see any other solution
mine is the same
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 06:34 AM
Does your puppy like live yoghurt? I used to mix this with yoghurt, or mashed potato, and in fact, ALL my dogs love this particular wormer (even as puppies), so much so that they lick up the last dregs I always thought that strange. Same with the horse, he used to lick the bowl when he had these granules in his food.

You have to mix it with something liquid and tasty before adding it to food and I'm sure your pup will eat it. Giardia is a nasty parasite and can take ages to get rid of completely, and you will probably have to do this all over again in another 2 weeks, which is the norm here in the UK for this condition, so good luck.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 06:53 AM
You could try mixing it with something really strong tasting like sardines in tomato sauce (assuming you can get that in the US!). Good luck - it's not easy!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 10:49 AM
I'll try some of that. Haven't tried yogurt or sardines yet, not sure if he likes them. We'll see!
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Can you mix it with something REALLY tasty? I bought some in liquid form.