Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 03:01 PM

Canine Contraceptive

Grace is due in season over Christmas which is a mojor problem.
Usually the bitches go to my mum but at Christmas mum coems to stop here for a few days, and at mum's age (shes 80 in Jan) we don't really want her to spend the holidays alone.
Does anyone know how to defer a season and what the implications are for the bitch later as we intend to mate Grace when she's old enough.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 03:06 PM
You can get tablets to deter the smell but I'm not sure how well these work. I think they're by Johnsons or Bob martin or you could probably get them from your vets
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 03:10 PM
There's an injection they can have from the vet, perhaps using crate training will be helpful too? I just wouldn't think it would be 100% so would use crates and raw bones etc 'just in case' Maybe take food out on the boys walks to help keep them eating.

I would think that there would be risks but I really don't know, your vet should go over that with you.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks both but I can't have a bitch in season in the same house as the dogs they fight and last time Ian got badly bitten seperating them. If I cant stop the season might have to see about kennelling her.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Thanks both but I can't have a bitch in season in the same house as the dogs they fight and last time Ian got badly bitten seperating them. If I cant stop the season might have to see about kennelling her.
They can fight even in seperate crates, walked seperatley, fed in seperate crates, chewing bones in seperate crates ? Even if the crates are in seperate rooms?

If that is too much though (realise that's lot of work) your better being safe than sorry and looking into kennels, I would book now though or you may not get a booking (christmas and NY hols..) if you leave it much later.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Might be difficult to find a kennel that will take an in season bitch, perhaps a good friend you trust with an all bitch household?

I personally wouldn't use any of the contraceptive type injections of implants, after a few friends have had problems either directly from the contraceptive, or after effects, altering seasons etc.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 03:39 PM
I have used Delvesterone in the past with excellent results,with absolutely no side effects at all, but I do know ofpeople using it on their bitches and having problems. I usually found the best time to give it was inbetween seasons but it can be used on the first couple of days of a season.But what you have and must remember is you are tampering with your girls hormones. Go and have a chat with your vet, discuss the pros and cons. then make a descision

morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
They can fight even in seperate crates, walked seperatley, fed in seperate crates, chewing bones in seperate crates ? Even if the crates are in seperate rooms?

If that is too much though (realise that's lot of work) your better being safe than sorry and looking into kennels, I would book now though or you may not get a booking (christmas and NY hols..) if you leave it much later.
I have 3 boys all entire one with temperament problems, logistically I cant crate them all 24-7. Also Spence screams all the time as he cant stand the smell, so it wouldnt work and not fair on the neighbours.
Also even crated in different rooms would not solve the problem, which was why I was asking advise re contraceptive.
I dont need a lecture on seperating in season bitches, I'm aware of crates etc.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I have 3 boys all entire one with temperament problems, logistically I cant crate them all 24-7. Also Spence screams all the time as he cant stand the smell, so it wouldnt work and not fair on the neighbours.
Also even crated in different rooms would not solve the problem, which was why I was asking advise re contraceptive.
I dont need a lecture on seperating in season bitches, I'm aware of crates etc.
Hardly a lecture on how to manage your dogs when I did recommend you look into kennels now so you can get a space and that I realised that would be hard work (crating) I also did say that your vet could tell you about risks etc.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Hardly a lecture on how to manage your dogs when I did recommend you look into kennels now so you can get a space and that I realised that would be hard work (crating) I also did say that your vet could tell you about risks etc.
The rolling eyes didnt help and the implication the work would be too much.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >