View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2006, 06:57 AM
I find in general two dogs or one of each is the easier but loads of people have two bitches without problems but if there is going to be a problem it is usually between the ladies. The males do squabble but forget in a moment whereas bitches never seem to forget once they have fallen out it just gets worse.

I think it best not to buy a new puppy until the present youngest is fully grown and trained to the sort of standard you expect. It is also important to make sure the when you say enough what ever is going on will stop, that way you have control if a problem does start, but you have to learn to decide if it is play or a real argument beginning as you don’t want to interfere with the normal sorting of status but you need to step in quickly if it is the beginning of a argument.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Thordell
I find in general two dogs or one of each is the easier but loads of people have two bitches without problems but if there is going to be a problem it is usually between the ladies. The males do squabble but forget in a moment whereas bitches never seem to forget once they have fallen out it just gets worse.
Same with human friendships.

<Ducks and runs for cover!>
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2006, 11:39 AM
i had 1 dog for 4 years,then we added delaney the best thing in the world to watch diesel play with him.i very rarely get bought a ball to play with anymore they are too busy playing with each other to bother playing with me the change in diesel is unbeleivable,she is much happier and acts like delaneys mum which is great i think so long as the time is right and finances aren't a problem and your dog likes other dogs go for it!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Well having always had two dogs together in the past I would only ever own one in the future as it is waaaay easier to cope with.

Whilst it is nice to have two dogs provide playmate and company for one another you have got to allow for the fact that everything else is x 2, vet bills, kennel fees, feed bills, mucky paws and fur in house, twice the bark! etc.

Also, even the most well behaved dogs egg each other on to misbehave and if one takes off the other will follow - literally double-trouble! Don't get me wrong i wouldn't change my times I've had with my pets for the world, but since having one dog only this time around I won't go back to having a second.

The way I see it Ozzy is lucky to have company all day long, Sid works from home and I only work part-time so he is only left for very short periods of time, he has lots of training (when fit!)/walks/play and company so I don't feel he is suffering for another dogs company and anyway since the awful experience in kennels he wouldn't allow another dog in the house anyway, so it kind of resolves the issue!

My house couldn't cope with TWO Ozzys anyway!
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2006, 08:34 AM
hello

I have my baby STB cross lab or lurch (still not sure) who is one now and OH has finally agreed that we can get another as we work FT and I long for him to have a companion. So hopefully by the summer we will have a new addition, probably a rescue and probably a STB but something smaller that Buster cus he's a big boy. I hopefully will have the finance to sort out my garden soon as I want it paved cus the grass is just a mud bowl at the minute and we will be biulding a big dog house 2 so that if the weather is nice we will leave them out when we go to work, Buster currently stays in the kitchen when we go to work but can be norty and loves to chew things (his favs are tea towels and socks) still so he has to stay in the kitchen with his toys, if he was a good boy i would glady let him have the whole house.
Scottish Mags
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Definately 2 dogs ..if circumstances allow. Shanook was 4 months at puppy training when Jim Brown came along. The reason for getting another was that Shanook was very clingy. The 2 interact with one another well. I think they would be lost without the other. I know the recommended time is 9 months or so .
Honestly it is the best thing I have done. They keep on another company and it is so amusing to see the interaction between the two. Maybe I was just lucky
I am getting another so dont know how that will go and another after that ...9 months apart
Any suggestions
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Bodhi I wouldn't hesitate to have two dogs. The biggest drawback that I can see is the cost, can you afford the insurance/vet fees not only when the dogs are young and premiums low but when they get older and costs rise.

For all other things there is not a lot of difference between having one dog or two providing they are compatable , you can walk/feed/groom two as easily as one. I am barred from having more than one dog while I work (I am away 17 hours at a time and only allowed to take one dog) but will do so as soon as my circumstances allow.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2006, 05:02 PM
I would say definitely two dogs are better than one. It took me a while to be convinced though!

My GSD was an only dog for three years, during which time I kept considering getting a puppy, but was put off the idea because I felt so "bonded" with my current dog, she was so well behaved and easy and I didn't want to create a headache for myself with an unruly pup, but mainly she could get VERY jealous if I paid other dogs attention. Looking back now, she was spoiled absolutely rotten and, like spoilt children, she was actually a bit of a brat! I went for a Border Collie because I wanted a smaller dog than a GSD and collies had always been my second fav breed and I felt that one would be compatible with my shepherd. Initially my GSD was hostile to the little pup but after two days they were playing together and I haven't looked back since. My collie is now 11 months old and they are the best of friends I think I will always have two dogs now.

To answer the second query, I have a dog and a bitch, and feel they are a good match together. I have heard of problems arising when people have kept two dogs together/two bitches together, but equally I know people who keep more than one bitch or dog and they are fine - so I think it is probably personal choice.
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2006, 04:07 PM
we sort of half agreed to get a second dog later this year ,but as the time gets nearer i wonder if its the right thing todo , as much for gemma as us ,

1, gemmas will be 5 in novenber , and although not old , she is a bit set in her ways .
2,i wonder if i could cope with a second dog ,(i nearly always do gems walks alone )
3, my worst nightmare is that we make the wrong choice or right choice wrong time and the two dogs dont get on what do you do ,?
so you see im really as undecided as ever , one thing for sure tho i will always have at least one dog and if i can ever make my mind up i might even have two one day

for a brunette i have some very blonde moments
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3