Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-05-2017, 03:52 PM

Coconut Oil

We have heard that it is good for dogs in many ways. Does anyone here have any comments on the subject?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-05-2017, 04:22 PM
I use it with the girls, they get half a teaspoon in their breakfast every day and they have amazing thick luxurious coats, even the shorter haired ones. Also good for joints, and as I have two oldies that is the reason I first started using it, the coats are an added bonus
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-05-2017, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I use it with the girls, they get half a teaspoon in their breakfast every day and they have amazing thick luxurious coats, even the shorter haired ones. Also good for joints, and as I have two oldies that is the reason I first started using it, the coats are an added bonus
A couple of days ago, we started giving Max a teaspoonful with breakfast - at 34kg he's quite a big dog.

He does have quite a shiny coat but it seems a little dry at the moment.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-05-2017, 04:45 PM
Omega 3 and/or Evening Primrose capsules will also help, all my dogs have one of these every day. How often does he go to the groomers as that could be drying his coat out, as its not natural to keep bathing them and some do react that way
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-05-2017, 05:18 PM
My lot love coconut oil and would scoff more than they should given half a chance. My staffie gleams as does my black Pug, the others have lovely coats but fawn Pugs don't really look shiny but nor do they shed very much considering most people claim Pugs are constant shedders.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Omega 3 and/or Evening Primrose capsules will also help, all my dogs have one of these every day. How often does he go to the groomers as that could be drying his coat out, as its not natural to keep bathing them and some do react that way
Thank you for your kind response. Appreciated.

He gets groomed about once a month and has been for nearly two years. The groomer is professional and makes sure his coat is in good condition when she is done with him.

That time is coming round again and he has been lying out in the garden so his coat picks up leaves and other debris. He does get brushed on a daily basis and loves it but it probably doesn't get all the grit out.

I don't think his coat is bad, it's a soft as ever. Just not quite as lustrous as it has been. This from a couple of weeks ago but he has been in the water since.

I do appreciate the advice about the Omega 3 and/or Evening Primrose capsules.

We'll carry on with the coconut oil rather than the black boot polish for now.............
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2017, 09:14 PM
Fantastic have been using it for about 10 years now. Started with Buster (sbt rescue 11+) 7 weeks ago when we first got him and he has 1/2 teaspoon every evening as a treat almost. And his coat is now much better than it was; more of a shine which is hard for almost all white staffie.

He also has sardines or mackrel in sunflower or olive oil twice a week, so yes I would say you will see a difference.
Dr. Dennis Thomas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-05-2017, 08:42 PM
Coconut oil has many benefits but is primarily used as a natural anti-inflammatory, so any disease that creates inflammation should benefit from its use. I recommend it with my client's pets primarily as an aid to heal the gut as it reduces inflammation and helps restore health balance in the gut. I also use it when creating a wholesome diet for dogs with recurring pancreatitis that have been placed on prescription diet (not a good idea). Coconut oil is good as a fat supplement that circumnavigates around the pancreas and will not activated the pancreas as will fish oil or other sources of fat.