Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2009, 07:50 PM

Cartrophen Injections

I took my boy to the vet today for a check on his leg, he has seemed a bit sore over the last few days and i have been worried that he had sprained his ligament again.
The vet is quite happy that the ligament is now virtually repaired but the arthritis is now taking hold. We have discussed cartrophen injections and she said that different dogs need different courses depending on the reaction to the drug.
Could anyone who has used this or had first hand experience of dogs that have had these injections please tell me your tales and how often your dog has the injections.
I don't know if it would be best to have a course of four then another course in 6-8 months time or to have the initial course then regular injections 2-3 months apart.
Please advise me
Merz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Hi-one of my labradors used to have cartrophen injectons for arthritis which worked very well for her.Initial course of one injection every week for 4 weeks. Improvement started to show after 3rd one. She then had a booster inj. every 3-4 months and during the colder months every month. Personally, because of how well she responded, I was pleased that I didn't need to give her medication like Metacam, Rimadyl etc. Also I used to give her glucosamine with chondrotin but this does not always agree with all dogs-can upset their stomach. Good luck
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Our girl did a course of 1 a week for 4 weeks, the same as Merz. She showed a dramatic improvement, and we didn't need to go back for another course until a year later. She is doing really well, and she's coming up to a year since her last one now, and is still looking great and not showing any signs of stiffness.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the replies.
How long were or have your dogs been on this and does the good effect continue or do they gradually get worse anyway?
My boy is only seven, so this could be another seven or so years for him to be on it.
I have never dealt with a dog with this kind of problem, all my other dogs have either been healthy or contracted the illness that eventually ended their lives.
How do you cope with it and enhance your dogs life?
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2009, 03:22 PM
As a natural alternative, you could try Serratia Peptidase (also known as Serrapeptase) which is an enzyme they have been using in Europe for over 30 yrs for people and dogs. It has no side effects and my friends 11 yr old dog is doing fabulously on it.

She gives her 116 lbs dog 120,000 I.U. /day

Some info links:

http://www.serrapeptase.info
http://www.haventherapies.co.uk/1022....php?p=4&pno=0

The best value one I've found for both quantity, strength and price is:

NATURES AID SERRAPEPTASE 60'000 IU 90 TABLETS
pupsandpets
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2009, 04:08 PM
My golden retriever was diagnosed with elbow dysplasia when she was just 1 year old.
They put her onto cartrophen injections immediately and she has had one a month every since (she's 4 now)

It made a huge difference to her, stopped the limping and she shows no sign of discomfort but we also introduced hydrotherapy swimming and acupuncture so they all contribute and you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with her.

They have warned me arthritis will start early and medication will need to be increased but not sure what as yet.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by pupsandpets View Post
My golden retriever was diagnosed with elbow dysplasia when she was just 1 year old.
They put her onto cartrophen injections immediately and she has had one a month every since (she's 4 now)

It made a huge difference to her, stopped the limping and she shows no sign of discomfort but we also introduced hydrotherapy swimming and acupuncture so they all contribute and you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with her.

They have warned me arthritis will start early and medication will need to be increased but not sure what as yet.
Thank you, We have been going to hydrotherapy for 6 months now and acupuncture will be considered at a later stage if he seems to need it.
Thank you all for your responses and any more will be read avidly
colliewogs
New Member!
Female 

27-04-2009, 09:15 PM
My dog dislocated her hip when she was 10 in an accident.
After 5 months she started to get a bit stiff and couldn't walk very far.
After 4 injections (one weekly for a month) she was never lame again.She walked miles with us like she did when she was a youngster. She never needed a booster and lived another 2years pain free.I highly recommend them and the vets advice was only bring her back for a booster if she shows signs of lameness.That never happened.