Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 07:51 PM

Spinal problem or something else ????

For the last two days Bonnie has not been herself. She has been very quiet, although she is eating, drinking and eliminating normally. I am beginning to suspect that she may have something wrong with either her spine or hips, although she has not had an injury. Since this evening she has begun to make little wimpering noises and does not appear able to get comfortable and she is now obviously unhappy, so I know that she has some pain. It is now 7.45pm and of course, the vet is now closed. I have telephoned and tghe message says only to ring in the case of a genuine emergency and I don't think I could say it is a genuine emergency. I will take her first thing tomorrow, unless things deteriorate during the evening. She seems to have got worse over the last couple of hours.
Bonnie is a Golden Retriever and she is is only 10 months old. I am really worried about her. If anyone has any suggestions as to what could be wrong I would be most grateful. Thank you in advance.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Any dog in pain is an emergency for me, as the vet can prescribe Rymadils or similar to help her through this pain. Sounds to me like she's done something to herself without you probably seeing it being done, a pulled muscle or worse, so I'd be inclined to ring that vet's emergency number if only to speak to a vet when he rings you back?

Good luck, I hate seeing my animals in any kind of pain and I'm sure you feel the same.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 07:59 PM
You could ring the emergency vet and just ask his opinion, he might say leave until morning, but he may say go in just to be safe.

Hope it's nothing serious.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 09:18 PM
I called the emergency vet again and decided to take Bonnie in. We have just returned home.
No definitive diagnosis, but he has ruled out a spinal or hip problem (thank goodness) but she has a high temperature and there is something going on in the top of her shoulder. Her lymph glands are up on one side and he found a lump in her shoulder. It is a bit of a puzzle because she has not had a bite to cause an abscess and there is no wound. Lymphoma was mentioned, which has scared me silly and I am hoping that the antibiotic he has started her on will sort things out. He also gave her a Metacam injection for the pain and I will take her back again Friday evening. If there is no improvement it will mean a biopsy to see what is going on. Please keep fingers crossed for us that she will be OK and it turns out to be an infection and not lymphoma or anything sinister. I lost two flatcoats to bone cancer and I know what it means - don't think I could bear it again. She is only 10 months old.
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Fingers tightly crossed here for you.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Everything crossed tightly here too. Good luck.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Hopefully the lump will be a cyst, but is she microchipped as some can move around. I know it's not unheard of but she is very young to be considered for Lymphoma.

Fingers crossed, let us know how you get on.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Fingers crossed here and pray it's just a cyst and nothing sinister, poor girlie, she's only a baby.
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Fingers crossed here for your little girl. I hope there is an improvement in the morning.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Poor little girl, and I'm so glad you managed to get to a vet to get some pain relief for her. You must now be worried sick after that visit, but hopefully, with the medication, she will return to normal and you can stop worrying about lymphomas.

Good idea to get the vet to give that chip a quick scan just to see where it is exactly, coz as twix has said, they do move around and can cause problems. My last dog developed a lump on her shoulder (at around 5), which just suddenly appeared one day out of the blue, it was huuuuge though (I'm talking almost football size here), the vet took her in, drained it, found nothing nasty and couldn't give me a diagnoses, but it was exactly where that chip was! 6 years later it turned sinister

Lots of hugs and positive vibes for Bonnie.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >