Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 03:24 PM

Bobo nipped a dog...

Walking the brae last night, seen this man behind us, Inka knows the dog well, a grey hound, which he has always had lots of fun chasing around with, to be safe as Inka and Bobo off lead chasing can look a bit full on, I put Bobo and Toro on lead, left Inka off as he knows the dog well, the guy asked if Bobo was ok, I explained yes but him and Inka off together can get a bit full on that was the reason I put Bobo on, went on to say Bobo doesn't like dogs off lead running at him...the grey hound runs around like a loon off lead all the time, well he ran too close to Bobo, Bobo nipped him, and because the grey hound was running so fast the skin came off where Bobo caught him, there wasn'r any blood but you could see where the skin had been pulled...I stupidly said straight away I'd pay the vet bill, then as the evening went on hoped the guy would realise that it was actually his fault after all his dog was off running around like a looney...but no, gets a phone call this morning, the grey hound was kept in at the vet last night, had the patches of skin re stitched and I'm 170 quid lighter today
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Walking the brae last night, seen this man behind us, Inka knows the dog well, a grey hound, which he has always had lots of fun chasing around with, to be safe as Inka and Bobo off lead chasing can look a bit full on, I put Bobo and Toro on lead, left Inka off as he knows the dog well, the guy asked if Bobo was ok, I explained yes but him and Inka off together can get a bit full on that was the reason I put Bobo on, went on to say Bobo doesn't like dogs off lead running at him...the grey hound runs around like a loon off lead all the time, well he ran too close to Bobo, Bobo nipped him, and because the grey hound was running so fast the skin came off where Bobo caught him, there wasn'r any blood but you could see where the skin had been pulled...I stupidly said straight away I'd pay the vet bill, then as the evening went on hoped the guy would realise that it was actually his fault after all his dog was off running around like a looney...but no, gets a phone call this morning, the grey hound was kept in at the vet last night, had the patches of skin re stitched and I'm 170 quid lighter today
I think at the time when this happened you felt bad and automatically took responsibility because the other dog got hurt but in reality it really wasn't your dogs fault he was on a lead. I dont think there is anyway of getting that money back. I assume you have already paid?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 07:34 PM
I do not think you ascribe "fault" to the greyhound owner as of course you have already stated that your dog does not like dogs running at him on the lead.

It is reasonably forseeable that if you allow one of your dogs to run with another you have no control over what they might do or where they may go and, with your prior knowledge of your dog, you could have chosen to keep both dogs on the lead or let them both off.

Chalk it up to experience.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 07:59 PM
If you haven't already paid, I think 50/50 is a fair one.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:00 AM
I had already paid it...Jugs your right I just felt so bad at the wee scone sitting whining on the grass, the thing was too, Bobo didn't even have to stretch to get him, he just flew by too close...I had Toro and Bobo both on, theres no way I would allow 3 of mine to chase down another dog, that just wouldn't be fair on the dog...in my experience its safest to have at least 2 on lead if other people or dogs are approaching, Inkas a big boy and looks straight at you when he runs towards you so he is a little scarey, Bobo rottie, most people don't appreciate him off lead either, and Toro bullie, she just goes on for her own safety, so I know she can't be blamed for anything...the 3 of them out together do have a certain presence ...so I try as much as I possibly can to avoid any incident...Maisies mum, I was hopeing the guy would go home and realise it wasn't our fault and even come back and say 50/50, but he didn't, I have been severly warned by my daughter, NEVER SAY YOU'LL PAY THE VET BILL AGAIN !! lol
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:02 AM
I am assuming that you are not insured either as of course you should NEVER admit liability!

And if you ARE insured you will have to declare this incident on your renewal.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:13 AM
I owned a GSD that was not happy to be restrained on a lead if another dog or dogs were chasing mad off the lead around her she would get very agitated and noisy indeed.

I would shout at the top of my voice 'PUT YOUR DOG ON THE LEAD OR I WILL LET MINE OFF!' Worked every time. I just assumed that the dog that is on the lead (mine) feels very trapped and threatened by a dog who is not and can chase and yap around them at will.

Fact is my dog would have been fine with the other dog or dogs if she was off the lead too. But as this was usually parkland or places where there were people and children around and they usually do not want to see GSDs running unleashed, so I kept her on the lead unless or until we were in the woods or in fields where she could run free.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 12:12 PM
SB what you all about, declaring incidents to my insurance which were'nt my fault in the first place I think not, you sound as bad as this muppet with the grey hound....lol
Hes just txt me to say hes going to the vet for pain killers and he will get the reciept if thats ok...!! I said no its not ok, it wasn't my dogs fault in the first place I paid 170 quid out of guilt, me feeling guilty...It wasn't my dog running free like a loon, the responsobility is all his !!
thats what I get for being so nice ...
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 12:17 PM
You are telling him now that it was not your dog's fault. But he obviously thought you did feel responsible on account of you offering to pay the vet bill in the first place. It's not 'usual' that the innocent party will offer to stump up for the costs! Perhaps you should have a good chat with him and explain you were distressed at the time but that he should appreciate that it was HIS dog that was off the leash, not yours and his dog that ran up to yours. Your dog was not in a position to be able to approach his dog being restrained. Your dog might have even run away from the situation (if it could - it couldn't if it was restrained).
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
SB what you all about, declaring incidents to my insurance which were'nt my fault in the first place I think not, you sound as bad as this muppet with the grey hound....lol
Hes just txt me to say hes going to the vet for pain killers and he will get the reciept if thats ok...!! I said no its not ok, it wasn't my dogs fault in the first place I paid 170 quid out of guilt, me feeling guilty...It wasn't my dog running free like a loon, the responsobility is all his !!
thats what I get for being so nice ...
I think you will find that on most insurance renewals there is a question about such incidents but I agree it was completely muppet like to bring this to your attention.

But if you are insured why did you cough up?

you sound as bad as this muppet with the greyhound........

It does not sound to me as though you were "being nice" but more likely you felt guilty and/or did not want to declare this to the insurace company for fear of your premium going up! Otherwise why would you offer to pay?

What would you have done if this was a car incident?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »