Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2005, 08:58 PM

Hhhheeeeellllllppppppp

Please, can someone give me a hint of what I am doing wrong. I have in the past managed to network my old Pc (Win98 ) to my new Pc(XP) and after reformatting both and installing software for drivers, my old pc can't see the new one, but my new pc can see (but can't access) my old one.
This aside, I have one MAJOR problem. I can't get on the internet from the old pc which means that I am losing hours of valuable DW time as I have to share my new pc!!!!!
I know this one is quite complex, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

(I haven't updated from windows since I found 16 viruses in them, so I am running the 2002 version of XP with a seperate firewall).
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-08-2005, 11:34 PM
In order to network successfully you need to make sure that there is at least one shared folder on each PC, both PCs are in the same IP address range and if you are using firewalls, both PCs are declared as trusted computers in the other one's firewall.

How are the PCs connected ?
Are you connecting both PCs to a broadband router or are you using one PC as the host and the other PC accessing the internet through that ?
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-09-2005, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
Please, can someone give me a hint of what I am doing wrong. I have in the past managed to network my old Pc (Win98 ) to my new Pc(XP) and after reformatting both and installing software for drivers, my old pc can't see the new one, but my new pc can see (but can't access) my old one.
This aside, I have one MAJOR problem. I can't get on the internet from the old pc which means that I am losing hours of valuable DW time as I have to share my new pc!!!!!
I know this one is quite complex, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

(I haven't updated from windows since I found 16 viruses in them, so I am running the 2002 version of XP with a seperate firewall).
the first thing i would do is ping the other ip address to see if the computer is recognized at all
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by royv
In order to network successfully you need to make sure that there is at least one shared folder on each PC, both PCs are in the same IP address range and if you are using firewalls, both PCs are declared as trusted computers in the other one's firewall.

How are the PCs connected ?
Are you connecting both PCs to a broadband router or are you using one PC as the host and the other PC accessing the internet through that ?
I'm using the new pc as the host
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
the first thing i would do is ping the other ip address to see if the computer is recognized at all

If memory serves me correctly, don't I need to type something into the MSDOS promt to do this? If so what is it that I type?
lollippy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-09-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm probably wrong but I was under the impression that windoze 98 and windoze XP have different system file setups, 98 has the old FAT 32 system and XP has NFTS,

As you say you've done it before there must be away unless the SP2 upgrade to XP changed something to stop it working.

Have you checked with MS as regarding windoze OS file system compatibilty's between windoze 98 & WinXP? Just a thought.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Do the following to ping:

start
run
cmd
ping
then type the ip address in

It will either time out or respond

If you don't know your ip address:

start
run
cmd
ipconfig

The ip address will show on the right hand side of the screen
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by lollippy
I'm probably wrong but I was under the impression that windoze 98 and windoze XP have different system file setups, 98 has the old FAT 32 system and XP has NFTS,

As you say you've done it before there must be away unless the SP2 upgrade to XP changed something to stop it working.

Have you checked with MS as regarding windoze OS file system compatibilty's between windoze 98 & WinXP? Just a thought.
My old computer that is nearly 3 years old and is Windows XP had the Fat 32 system
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2005, 04:47 PM
wufflehoond: Do the following to ping:
Cheers. will try that one thanks

Foxy: My old computer that is nearly 3 years old and is Windows XP had the Fat 32 system
Not sure what mine is, probably is a FAT 32. My old one certainly is.

I have had them both networked before, but someone did it for me.

lollippy: I'm probably wrong but I was under the impression that windoze 98 and windoze XP have different system file setups, 98 has the old FAT 32 system and XP has NFTS,

I haven't downloaded the SP1 or 2 this time, so maybe that is the prob.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
I'm using the new pc as the host
So your setup goes like this:

Win98 PC ----> Win XP PC ----> Broadband modem ----> Internet ???

If so, you'll need to use Internet Connection Sharing to allow the Win 98 PC to access the internet via the Win XP PC.

To enable Internet Connection Sharing on a network connection
Open Network Connections on XP machine.
Click the dial-up, local area network, PPPoE, or VPN connection you want to share, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
On the Advanced tab, select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.
If you want this connection to dial automatically when another computer on your home or small office network attempts to access external resources, select the Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet check box.
If you want other network users to enable or disable the shared Internet connection, select the Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection check box.
Under Internet Connection Sharing, in Home networking connection, select any adapter that connects the computer sharing its Internet connection to the other computers on your network.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »