Our sister sites
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 04:21 PM

To squeek or not to squeek - that is the question

Hiya.

I'm after people's opinions please.

Harley's fave game is tugging, so I'm thinking to motivate him at training instead of using treats to use a kong stick fetch toy thing.

Would people recommend using the squeeky one, or the one that doesn't squeek, but has a rope on so able to throw as well?

I would ideally like to just chuck a ball in the air for him to catch to keep excitement, but he can't catch with him being popeye .

Any advice would be appreciated please as I'm useless as trying to decide which one I think would help him most.

Jen
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Which does he find most rewarding? With my dog, it would HAVE to have the squeak. She LIVES for squeaky toys and loves playing tug with them and playing a good game of "how many times can I squeak this until my Mom is driven insane."

My other concern is whether or not this is in a class situation or just at home? If in a class situation, the squeak might not be appreciated by other dog owners if it amps their dogs up. If at home, it doesn't matter!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 04:27 PM
How about a ball on a rope - at a training class the squeak will put other people off
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
How about a ball on a rope - at a training class the squeak will put other people off
He goes for the rope with a ball on rope, and I can't seem to find one with a strong enough rope (which is convenient enough for training) for him to play tug with.

Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Which does he find most rewarding? With my dog, it would HAVE to have the squeak. She LIVES for squeaky toys and loves playing tug with them and playing a good game of "how many times can I squeak this until my Mom is driven insane."

My other concern is whether or not this is in a class situation or just at home? If in a class situation, the squeak might not be appreciated by other dog owners if it amps their dogs up. If at home, it doesn't matter!
It would majoratively be in a class situation. I would think the squeek would keep his attention more, but is that fair on the others in the class?
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
It would majoratively be in a class situation. I would think the squeek would keep his attention more, but is that fair on the others in the class?
I think it would likely distract other dogs in the class. Our teacher used to use squeaky toys as distraction material during stays and many dogs would break their stays. My dog would be totally interested in the squeaky toy.

If it's for a class, I would stay away from toys that make noise.
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I've had no choice with Zeus but to use a squeaky toy. Food he's to fixated and walks through the jumps a non squeaky toy doesn't get enough of his attention. May be give each one a go and see which is best for him. I am thinking about getting one of these for training. http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...gs/kong/139389
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by littlefoot View Post
I've had no choice with Zeus but to use a squeaky toy. Food he's to fixated and walks through the jumps a non squeaky toy doesn't get enough of his attention. May be give each one a go and see which is best for him. I am thinking about getting one of these for training. http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...gs/kong/139389
My two love Kong Wubbas (or more like Harley loves destroying Jess's Wubba lol ) - little hint when buying one, shop around LOADS as they vary in price sooo much it's unreal!

That's a point actually, I could try one for Harley for training. Hmmm, didn't think of that - Thank you

Have you maybe tried Orbees with Zeus as they are mint flavour, but don't make a noise, so is the best of both worlds really.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by littlefoot View Post
The wubba is Ozzie's fav toy and hes yet to kill it unlike most of his rope toys ...
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
My two love Kong Wubbas (or more like Harley loves destroying Jess's Wubba lol ) - little hint when buying one, shop around LOADS as they vary in price sooo much it's unreal!

That's a point actually, I could try one for Harley for training. Hmmm, didn't think of that - Thank you

Have you maybe tried Orbees with Zeus as they are mint flavour, but don't make a noise, so is the best of both worlds really.
No, but I'll have to have a look now. Thank you.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 05:42 PM
We use a really tasty looking fluffy smiling cute chicken for Keishas agility, works everytime
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >