Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 03:28 PM

Foster Piggies

Hiya,

I've agreed to foster two guinea pigs when they leave their family, who are emigrating, till they can get collected by a good small furry rescue.

There is a TINY chance that I'd consider keeping them. Willow being a whippet x has high prey drive, so they'd be kept well out of the way of her.

If we did decide to keep them what would be the best way to introduce Wills to the idea of these animals being in a cage nearby? They wouldn't be in a room she has access to, but if we did keep them I'd want to introduce her to the idea that they aren't something exciting and to be glared at, annoyed... nor are they edible! So if she did ever gain access to the room all hell wouldn't break loose.

I'm thinking let her smell them on our clothes. Let her sniff the cage when they are out of it. Moving on to onlead in the room when they are in the cage with rewards for not paying any attention to them, gradually moving closer to the cage.

Any tips would be great. Also from a piggy point of view; what way to do this to create minimum stress?
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2010, 11:06 AM
I think your ideas are good but im no expert, we have a whippet (Honey) and she is not at all interested in the piggies, she will go in their room when im in there but doesnt even bother with them, but Kobe (beagle) is persistent in going in their room and sniffing the cage and when we have them out holding them he sits at your feet and squeals.

Nice of you to take the piggies, hope you do keep them, they are very lovely little animals.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Your plan sounds fine. Our old Springer was quite obsessed with ours to begin with but did soon lose interest when they were in their cage. Plenty of hiding places for the piggies will help them feel less stressed.

Good luck and post us some pics as we have many piggy fans on here
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the help. We have (the newly renamed) Dexter and Splat here with us about two weeks now. I have to say we are all in love with them!

The dogs are def very keen to get in and looking at them, I've no doubt they'd go for them if left unattended, but will come away when I call them when in with me.

The room they are in now has a safety gate up as an extra precaution. The dogs have been in the room with the guinea pigs in the cage. It's raised up so they can't seen in properly without standing on their hind legs. The piggies stay well hidden when the dogs are in the room which is good cos I think much movement would set the dogs off.

Dog have only been in minutes at a time and rewarded for coming away, doing sits, downs, high fives etc..... basically for keeping focus on us rather than the piggies.

Here they are:

Splat in the foreground, Dexter behind:

Side by side:

Dexter shows off his ample butt:
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Stunning piggies!!! I love the aby x one!
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Beautiful piggies, I'm loving Dexter's butt
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Thank you. They were given to us by their previous owner who was moving back to Oz. (She was aware that I'd be rehoming them through our rescue if things didn't work out in my home.)

I've fallen for them big time... but shhhh! Don't tell the kids, they think the piggies are still on trial; brilliant for getting them motivated into helping round the house etc.

Splat is a cutie, isn't she. She could eat for Ireland, ever brave when some grass or lettuce is on offer!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Beautiful piggies, I'm loving Dexter's butt
Lol, thanks! It is rather adorable.
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Careful with the lettuce, too much can be toxic

I tend to advice people stick to the C's, Cabbage, carrots and cucumber.

Also, a good book to get is the guineapiglopaedia, its my bible
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
Careful with the lettuce, too much can be toxic

I tend to advice people stick to the C's, Cabbage, carrots and cucumber.

Also, a good book to get is the guineapiglopaedia, its my bible
Thanks for that, I'll have a look out for that book. I've joined two guinea pig related forums and have been recommended some good guinea pig websites for info, such as guinealynx. Been reading up loads on these adorable critters.

They were always a creature I was attracted to, but never had any of my own before. Now I know what I was missing!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >