Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2007, 04:20 PM

Fish 4 Dogs...

Been taking a bit of stick about the lack of fish I've been catching... But joking apart, been catching a decent number of Brown Trout. The smaller ones I put back anyway, but those that are big enough to be worth keeping, would they be ok to give to the dogs... Don't really fancy em myself, bit too boney. The one in the pic below is probably about the smallest I would keep, any smaller would go back... Ok for the dogs do ya reckon??

tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-05-2007, 05:14 PM
when I am up by the canal with the girls we often pass a guy who throws a fish to my 2. Lona always gulps them down, Cariad doesn't like raw fish at all (will eat tinned though) so Maelona has them both. Also I get raw fish from the reduced section at Asda and Lona has them as well.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Don't see why not Ian
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Little trout like that have tiny wee bones and would be fine for Charlie and Jake. They're big enough dogs to just wolf them down.

Watch out for if you catch Perch though. They have evil spines on the dorsal fin. Rip the fin off or trim with the scissors before feeding them to the dogs.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Little trout like that have tiny wee bones and would be fine for Charlie and Jake. They're big enough dogs to just wolf them down.

Watch out for if you catch Perch though. They have evil spines on the dorsal fin. Rip the fin off or trim with the scissors before feeding them to the dogs.
Aye, thought these would prob be ok, but thought I'd check first. They've had all sorts raw fish and no probs so these should be ok. Will chuck any Perch back.. not worth the risk really eh.

Cheers all
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Hi, well my dogs all love a bit of trout but I cook it and remove all the bones. after all they are quite particular about their food or maybe it's just my cooking
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 09:07 PM
The only reservation I would have would be to check there is no swallowed fishing hooks inside before feeding.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2007, 10:03 PM
I give my Dobes cod, monkfish, bass whatever I can get fresh from the fish monger at the marina.

The only thing I do other than gutting them is cut off there heads, tails and fins.

They will eat them both raw or cooked, but then again they you eat almost anything I put in front of them.
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Just to add my comment, I feed them frozen. It makes the girls chew them a bit more than they would if they were soft.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-05-2007, 09:17 PM
cant see trout being a problem, mine dont have fish though 1 doesnt like it the other is allergic to fish and white meat.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >