Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Xantasia
New Member!
Female 

10-06-2007, 05:32 AM

Doggy Birthcontrol

Hi has anyone tried Birthcontrol for your dog(s)? Im considering the use of birthcontrol for my dogs and would like some feedback from anyone who has used a birthcontrol product for thier dog.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Hi Xantasia and welcome to Dogsey.
Are you talking about giving a bitch injections?

I would never do this (except in an absolute emergency), if you don't intend breeding to me spaying is the best option.

Giving hormone injections to interrupt the hormone cycle can cause all sorts of problems .
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2007, 08:21 AM
The best birth control for a bitch is to never let her near an entire male whilst she's in season

Debs
Xantasia
New Member!
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Thank you for your input, my vet was not very specific as to side effects. I plan on breeding her at a leter time, so I dont want anything perm.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Hi and Welcome To Dogsey

Right, on the subject of birth contol, I own 2 bitchs, one who is almost 16 months, she has had 2 seasons to date and she is not spayed, this is just because I have so far choosen not to spay her
Her getting pregnant has never been a problem, when shes in season Im just very careful, especially in her 'fertile' period
Keep her in, keep her away from full males, and in general isolate her while shes in season, theres not real need for medical intervension if your careful
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Hi Wendy I used the injections on one of my bitshes for 3 years on the recommendation of my vet & I was warned to watch out for side effects but I was lucky & none arose. I may say it was only because we lived with my parents, & so did her son. If you don't have a good reason for doing it I wouldn't though it did not affect my bitch & she was my longest lived dog of all & rarely had need to visit a vet. He did say if I did decide I needed another litter from her it may affect her getting pregnant, in his experience it occasionally did. Hope this helps you.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Just a quick note to say a few welcome posts were removed.

While it's great to welcome someone along with answering the OP at the same time, we don't allow just welcome posts in the serious sections as they can quickly clog up the thread thus making it harder for people in future to read through the topic should they find it by searching.

Thanks for your understanding.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Xantasia View Post
Hi has anyone tried Birthcontrol for your dog(s)? Im considering the use of birthcontrol for my dogs and would like some feedback from anyone who has used a birthcontrol product for thier dog.
ask your vet about DELVOSTERON, it prevents bitches from coming into season. we used it on our rottie all her life, and she lived for 14 years. it's a simple injection given every 5 months, and if you want to mate her in the future, you let her have a season, then mate her on her next season.