Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2004, 09:46 PM

HELP

Hello Me again, I sometimes wonder how I ever walked around My local Park and streets without getting involved with other people and their dogs for so many years! yet now I seem to attract people and dogs with problems anyhow this is tonights walk.
After a nice training session & ball game. We were taking a gentle walk back round via the canal. We were walking down by the canal when out of nowhwere - I mean that you can see for quite a distance (especially now they've cut down the grass) came another Stafford full speed ahead, who proceeded to knock Sal flying - the staffie was not a nasty dog - luckily - but hyper playful - Sal ran about for a bit playing; and I looked for the owner - nowhere - I walked over and saw the Staff had no collar - I stood there for a minute or two looking for the owner when a lady and man ran up called to the Staff who ignored them - apologised to me the dog though just and carried on playing (normal mad staffie games with Sal) I wached a moment or two then called Sal back she came back followed by the staffie and Sal flopped down by my feet as she was told but the stafie continued to evade his owners for about 4 minutes and eventually he came close enough to me for me to loop Sal's lead round his neck and hold him until the man managed to put his collar back on. It seems he's fine until he sees another dog and then he goes deaf not interested in them his ball his squeaky toy... nothing but the other dog it seems exsists...
They asked me how I got Sal to be so good and to be honest I don't know...how would you help them? what would you suggest? Training classes?
Karen
Clue1e55
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2004, 10:13 PM
Hi
Definatly a problem. i would keep a pocket of small tasty treats and occasionally when out walking call him back and treat him sending him off again once hes had it. i wouldnt do this a lot, but i would make sure the only time i called him back he got something for it. so he knows that if you call , even if another dogs there he will get a treat , if hes being good he can be sent away to play with the other dog if all concerned agree. this way its in his interest to come to you and he wont mind if hes allowed to go again occasionally
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2004, 09:36 AM
I would swear that was sonny you were talking about except it was a staff and of course not in glasgow but thats what sonny is like and it is a nightmare he is great until he sees another dog - the best treat in the world would not get him back. But hopefully he starts obedience classes on fri so that might knock some sense into him.

Love sam and sonny
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2004, 09:38 AM
Hi Sam

Hows your head today

Star can still be like that too. Last night at the park she was playing with a dog and came back to me FIRST time, I was stunned. Wait and see next time I will have to chase her all over the park.
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2004, 09:45 AM
The head is fine thank god But have hurt my foot banged it off the blood exercise bike and it is agony. Just my luck. As with sonny I am just hoping this woman at the new class can perform miricles.

Love sam and sonny
Carole
Supervisor

21-04-2004, 09:46 AM
When do you start your classes?

Ours go back tonight but with the bad weather forecast not sure if I can make it. I have to get a bus or train then walk for a while.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

21-04-2004, 09:49 AM
You know what the answer is dont you, STOP EXERCISING!!! Do what Im doing today and just eat for England, or in your case Scotland!
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2004, 09:49 AM
That sounds like some journey. His start on friday I am going to see about a ringcraft class when I am there aswell (don't laugh its the taking part that counts). The only prob it is from 9pm till 10pm looks like I won't be going out on a fri for a while

Love sam and sonny
Carole
Supervisor

21-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Whereabouts are your classes, Sam?
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2004, 09:57 AM
Rutherglen which isn't too bad OH will take the car. Looking forward to it sonny is getting a bit crazy at the moment.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >