Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2004, 01:15 PM

feeling really horrible

My nan has gone into a home - she has been there since last Christmas and now her hubby has decided to go and live with friends He has given up the tenancy on their house and wants nothing out of there. He left on Thursday and the house is still full of furniture
I have the horrible job of going through nans stuff on Thursday and trying to empty the house
I dont want to do it - it feels so horrible

has anyone else done this ? I have nowhere to put it and dont know what to do with it other than give it to a charity or something.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2004, 01:16 PM
awww lel thats not nice

i remember when we had to do dads house
i felt like i was invading his personal stuff

but i,m sure they rather you than the council
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Oh I'm sorry Lel.

No I have never tried it, thankfully. But I can understand how you must feel.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2004, 01:19 PM
well as you say i dont want the council coming around and either binning it or keeping it for themselves
Its just all the private stuff too-
I feel sick thinking about it - when i looked through today the kids pictures are still on the walls and everything - I cant explain but its just really yukky- i dont want to do it but will have too :smt022
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2004, 01:27 PM
it was the same for us lel
it isn,t pleasant
and my dad still had us lot spread over his walls
there were lots of tears
but there was also some laughter when we found stuff he,d kept that we,d brought him over the years as kids,you know really naff stuff

you will get thru it lel
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

25-09-2004, 01:41 PM
*hugs*

Sorry to hear about ur nan Lel

I'd think your Nan would like you to sell what you could and keep the money. I know if ever anything happened to me I would like my loved ones to 'have' my belongings rather than giving them away.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Sorry to hear about that Lel its not a nice thing to have to do.
Clue1e55
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2004, 02:01 PM
So sorry Lel
I had the job of helping to clear my Nans house when she died. It isnt easy and you wouldnt feel normal if you didnt feel moved.
I found the best way to deal with all personal paperwork was to just place it all into a few large pillowcases from home. take it home and Loft it for a while untill your ready to sort it. then as you go round the house memorys will flood back and you will know what to do with the other stuff. keep a few things that have real nice memories attached, things to remind you of when the family was all together. I kept my nans pinnie and dressing gown that was hanging on the back of the bathroom door and a casserole dish that had seen better days and also my nans Jim Reeves Boxed collection. it doesnt sound a lot, but its comforting to have something of my nans around the place.
A few suggestions for the other stuff.
dog rescue can always do with extra bedding. age concern will collect bulk items and the money goes to charity. clothing you could enjoy making money on espesially if its old. im sure your Nan would be proud of you using your initiative. E Bay it. then give the money to a charity or buy something you know your Nan and Grandad would aprove of for your home. a scenic picture maybe. field of poppys and daisys and everytime you look at it. there they are. your memories of Nan and Grandads Home
I hope i have helped a little.
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-09-2004, 02:06 PM
I feel for you lel. My Gran has just gone into a home and the whole family went through a terrible time, not only making the decision to place her in a home but also what to do with her house and personal things. The thing is my gran took unwell one night in her house and was taken straight to hospital and then went into the nursing home, never returning again to the house. So everything was still how she left it that night .

Take time looking over the stuff left and give yourself time to decide what you want to do - my aunt felt she was rushed into making decisions on what to keep and what to give away and didn't really have time to process what was happening.

Will be thinking about you ThursdayXXXXX
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Hi Lel,
Look on the bright side it will help your nan to know it is you doing the sorting. Sadly things we may not consider of any relevance are sometimes the things people treasure.
But it has to be done.

At least you will be able to visit visit her. Now.

Karen
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >