View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2007, 10:29 AM

Gordon Setter - Week 5 Agility Training I CAN DO IT!

Maxyboy is a star - well he always was in my eyes but now I think other people might be thinking it

Last night was our fifth week at our beginners agility class and my boy is LOVING THIS AGILITY LARK!! I'm so happy that he is enjoying it and he puts 110% into everything with that setter zest about it too

Well the jumps were increased to midi last week which he managed fine - with one jump increased to full height and again he popped over it fine.

Last night ALL the jumps were at full height - 4 in a row!! But Maxy just went over them without any hesitation and actually looked like he knew what he was doing - so very very proud - but on the way back (we go up one way and back the next) - his setterness took over and he got all excited and ran out a couple - funny how you get a bit overconfident and they have to show you not to let your guard down.

I know, just like Missysmum, that the contact items (A-Frame, dogwalk etc.) will be Max's biggest hurdle (excuse the pun!) as he wants to do them at 90mph (a setter doesn't do slow speed!) and with the A-Frame try to jump from the top and the dogwalk no control of his legs!!

We did another set of jumps and again he was a star, the A-Frame - not so good but managed to avoid leaping from the top!

We then did the weaves - and amazingly despite his long body - he isn't too bad at these and getting quite quick - still following a treat but going all the way to the end without stopping or missing one!

His favourite has to be the tunnel though - he bombs through it! Last week we did the cloth tunnel and again he had no problems going through it - happily went through without a look back!

We then put weaves and tunnel together and he was great!

Last night someone else joined our group and it was amazing to see that just 5 weeks ago we were at that point - all of the other dogs have come on so well and so fast! As we had a newbie we didn't do as much because the new doggy needed a bit more time to be shown things but hopefully they will catch up quite quickly too (its a collie - the first in our group - and we all agreed nice to have a collie in the group didn't feel right somehow without one!! )

My OH is coming next week to watch - hope Max still shows off what he can do and I hope to get some pics to post of him in action!

So all you doggie owners considering agility - if my Setter can do it ANY dog can!