Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lennym
New Member!
Female 

13-02-2007, 04:20 PM

Bitch ignoring pups

Help please,Can anyone give me reasons why a mother might not respond to her pups unless she can see them?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Could you provide more information, how old are pups, why is she away from them, what breed?
Becky
lennym
New Member!
Female 

13-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Hi Becky
Sorry i should have said this is a Hypothetical question for a paper i am doing, just wanted peoples opinions, sorry im new to this
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2007, 04:39 PM
hi becky welcome to dogsey ,
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by lennym View Post
Help please, Can anyone give me reasons why a mother might not respond to her pups unless she can see them?
Hi lennym and welcome to Dogsey
What an odd question perhaps I am misunderstanding your question or missing something obvious here . A Bitch does not need to see her puppies to respond to them, if she was blind she would still respond.

Bitches go by scent and sound far more than sight, sight is not that important . Is the Hypothetical bitch deaf and without a nose

Not responding to puppies in general is something that sometimes happens to maiden bitches who have their first litter by Cesarean, having never smelt/heard/ seen puppies before they can fail to acknowledge the puppies belong to them because they have not whelped naturally and the puppies can seem foreign
lennym
New Member!
Female 

13-02-2007, 05:38 PM
I have been having the same problem with this question thats why i posted it on the forum. It doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Thats why i wanted other peoples input to try and make some sense of it. This is the paragraph before the question in the paper maybe this may shed some light on it lol
"It is interesting to note however that the mother may not respond to any call other than a distress 'yelp' unless she can see the pup as well."
Does that help at all??
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by lennym View Post
I have been having the same problem with this question thats why i posted it on the forum. It doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Thats why i wanted other peoples input to try and make some sense of it. This is the paragraph before the question in the paper maybe this may shed some light on it lol
"It is interesting to note however that the mother may not respond to any call other than a distress 'yelp' unless she can see the pup as well."
Does that help at all??
Hi Lennym in a word...no

Maybe in that context it means if the call from the puppy is not a distress call but some other sound, but the puppy is actually in distress (say it is on its back and can't get over on to its feet as sometimes happens with tiny puppies) the bitch would not respond to that sound unless she could also see the puppy was in distress because it was making the wrong sound, one she was not 'programmed' to acknowledge .

In conclusion a mother might not respond to her pups unless she can see them because she is genetically programmed to recognise certain sounds as distress calls but not others so in order to ascertain if a puppy is actually in distress she would need to see it as well.

It all seems a bit feeble but sorry that is the best I can do,
it doesn't make a lot of sense to me without reading the whole thing to put it in context ..