View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-11-2005, 07:33 PM

No season (age at which bitch has her first season?)

Florrie is approaching 10 months and no season, nor signs of a season. I know sometime it can take longer, but her litter mate sister has already had hers, im a little worried now should we take her to the vets?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Luke...

Luna was 1 year old before she had her first.. Her littermate (the one the family kept themselves) had her's at 8 months old, so nothing to worry about..

It'll come, when it comes..
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-11-2005, 07:52 PM
and wont i be cursing about it when it does i already have the doggy knickers ready
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Ah.. I dont use those

But yeah you might be cursing it.. I dont.. And I dont act very different than I normally do.. Be a bit more on the lookout for loose dogs, but that's about it.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Hello Luke,
I wouldn't bother with the vets until she's about 18 months old,our last bitch never had a season till she was 11 months old,2 days before her first show she came into season.

Sal
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Hi Luke all dogs vary and ten months is not that old.

Some years ago scientists in America carried out research into bitches and found that to a certain extent seasons are linked to daylight, a bitch due her first season in the dark winter months is more likely to be late. Perhaps it is something to do with 'nature' making it less likely for puppies to be born when it is cold and dark, in the wild pups would have a greater chance of survival if born in the spring
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2005, 12:00 AM
My Lily (11 months) has just finished her first season, her mum Rosie was 15 months before she had her first then was every 9 months afterwards. So there's still plenty of time for Florrie.....and like Mini has said, when my girls are due in the winter months, they tend to be later.......hence most of my litters have been born in May!