Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 01:11 PM

Mutual Appreciation Society

Well until yesterday I have never thought much of lurchers.

HOWEVER; yesterday evening meet a man with a lurcher and a elderly bullmastiff. The lurcher was fantastic, not sure what he was crossed with but he had the look of a bearded collie do they use those for lurchers? but he was gorgeous and Sal spent about 20 minutes racing round with him. Very friendly dog.

The man said normally he avoids people with Staffs which was a shame but thinking about it I normaly go out of my way to avoid greyhounds and lurchers But both of us agreed that from now on we would at least not go out of our way to avoid the others breed.

Maybe it shows preconceived or conditioned ideas of breeds are not always true

PS Azz before you ask no I did not have the camera to hand

Edited to say
Do any of you go out of your way to avoid cerain breeds?

Karen
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Thats Lovely Kazz,

it's great when people who may have misunderstood breeds (especially ours!) get the chance to really find out what they are like
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Your right it is nice. And yet sometimes people with the breed like us never realise how"unsure" people can be of them.

Karen
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 01:24 PM
i don't go out of my way of any breed, i just make sure Jazz is on lead when they approach or we go past them, for my own safety really.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2004, 02:38 PM
I usually keep Star on her lead like Emma does. Star is not sure of small dogs like Yorkies and West Highland Terriers due to being attacked as a pup.

I have nothing against them but Star does
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 02:43 PM
I have to say I never go out of my way to avoid any breed. But like Carole and Emma I make sure to keep them on their leads.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

23-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz
PS Azz before you ask no I did not have the camera to hand
u never kno u may bump into them again one day!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Actually I will go out of my way to meet them again so maybe pictures will be coming soon

I don't remember when Sal "gelling" as quickly with a dog as she did with "Ricky" the owner of the lurcher said they look like they belong together and they did. Maybe they were "like minded" The lurcher was maybe same age as Sal 18-19 months maybe older but not more than 4-5 I would say. He was a rescue - it has set my mind ticking over I tell you

Karen
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 05:26 PM
i aviod german shepherds at all costs, as scrump hates them, he was chased by a couple when he was a pup, he now loathes them, and i dont trust him with them one bit!

but i love em! as with all dogs!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 08:05 PM
I do avoid some breeds I'm not quite sure what they are - Amstaff Bullterrier I think but I'm not sure. A guy living in the same staircase (?) as me has a dog (Elvis) and he is white with brown brindle spots. He is still a puppy and still doesn't llift his leg when peeing so perhaps 6-7 months old, and he's already taller than Luna. She is 52-53 centimeters on the shoulder. But I tend to look at the owner. A lot of dogs of the breed above are owned by young guys living on the wrong side or on the edge of the law here in Denmark. These dogs I avoid!

From what I have read on this site I know that staffies are great dogs, and as I say I look at the owner.

The dog could just aswell be a rottie, gsd or a dobermann - its the owners it comes down to.

So no hard feelings I hope

Jeanette