Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ilovetucker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2008, 03:24 PM

Iams dry puppy food?

Is Iams food any good? Ive just put my puppy on it but wanted to make sure its got the right protein etc as i dont really know what im looking for.
what you guys think?
thanks
Chez x
p.s my puppy is around 10 weeks old if that makes a difference (border collie).
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 03:36 PM
hiya i did use this for a while, but i did prefer james well beloved
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Did you get food and a diet sheet with your new puppy if you did and want to change your better doing it gradually so pup doesnt get a runny tummy.
ilovetucker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2008, 03:52 PM
I didnt get anything with my new puppy no. He was on pedigree chum when i got him but the dry food seems to make his poos better
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 03:58 PM
I's switch to complete in that case, and maybe half a spoon of pedigree to encuorage him to eat it. I've never fed Iams but I have fed Eukanuba which is the same manufacturer.
Good luck with your new puppy looking forward to seeing loads of photo's
smifkin
New Member!
Female 

07-10-2008, 09:46 AM
any of the complete dog mixers by the big companies are good, these companies spend millions and millions researching exactly what your dog needs, it's then just down to personal choice and what your dog likes the taste of )
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by smifkin View Post
any of the complete dog mixers by the big companies are good, these companies spend millions and millions researching exactly what your dog needs, it's then just down to personal choice and what your dog likes the taste of )
This simply is not true.

You cannot compare, for example, Bakers with James Wellbeloved or Trophy! Apart from the poor content of the former, there are ethical issues to consider here as well.

Iams/Eukanuba are known for their testing on animals. James Wellbeloved, far better in content, is part of the Pedigree/Mars group which also test.

You may or may not find this important - that is a personal decision. What you must consider, is the very best you can afford for your pup.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 10:10 AM
I have to agree withMandydog on this, for me the ethics of the company are just as important as the quality.

The level of mis treatment and cruelty this company show to the animals is disgusting. I would never buy any Iams food or in fact anything by the parent company Proctor and Cambell, they are just evil!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Not a fan of Iams tbh.....

I have used burns on my collies for quite a while now and they have been great.....There are lots of good foods around but yuou probably need to do a bit of research...its a bit of a minefield
smifkin
New Member!
Female 

07-10-2008, 11:34 AM
I didn't want to mention the iams thing because I know it is topical and I didn't want to start any heated debates.

I wans't intending on comparing bakers, I was referring to manufacturers like beta, Royal Canin etc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >