Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2008, 09:35 PM

Food intolerance/allergies and food digestion

If a dog was allergic or intolerant to a certain food could that show up as a problem gaining weight as the food is not being digested properly?

I am sure this was mentioned before but can't find it

The reason for asking is I have cut out rice from Finn's diet completely for the last 3 days and he has not even attempted to have a chew at his paws and his eyes are really dry and clean looking and when fed a food with rice he is having to eat massive amounts to gain weight.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Im not sure tbh Carole, I know though with one of my previous puppies she had an intolerence to Chicken and rice, And she lost loads of weightand had a few skin problems , I had the vet do blood tests and the food intolerence was the reason for her losing weight and the skin condittion , Once I stopped feeding it and told her new owners of this she gained weight and the skin problem cleared quite quickly , Not sure if it the same problem as Finn, Though but im sure someone will be better to advise xxdk
Carole
Supervisor

25-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Thats what I was wondering if intolerances would stop weight gain due to the food not being absorbed properly.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 09:45 PM
It did with Jade, No matter how much she ate Carole she did not gain weight , The other pups were thrieving and she was so skinny and sickly looking xxdk
Carole
Supervisor

25-03-2008, 09:49 PM
I *think* I might have found our problem then. Star eats 300g a day and Finn has to eat 700g + some junior food to gain weight. A big difference

Its early days and the allergy symptoms disappearing might be a coincidence but 3 days without having a chew is a record for us.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
I *think* I might have found our problem then. Star eats 300g a day and Finn has to eat 700g + some junior food to gain weight. A big difference

Its early days and the allergy symptoms disappearing might be a coincidence but 3 days without having a chew is a record for us.
Long may the record continue Carole, I hope you have found the answer to Finn problem, i know how frustrating it can be xxdk
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 10:53 PM
ahhh, now this is interesting!

It has enlightened me. if you remember my post about kenny loosing weight and his licking, chewing and pulling fur our sessions.

Thank you guys. x
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Yes Carole food intolerance will stop a dog gaining weight,
Poor ole Tigger was a skinny bones no matter what we fed her she was EPI, another bitch I looked after for 3 months for someone, was allergic to rice and wheat and we didn't know for a long time only having numerous bloods and allergy tests did we find out, we took the rice out and the wheat and gave her a home cooked diet and she gained weight rapidly.
I Hope Finn put's weight on now you have found the problem Carole.xxzbxx
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 08:19 AM
I should imagine it would stop them gaining weight. If they have an intolerance to it then their body won't even bother trying to use the goodness from it. All the tummy will want to do is get it through as quick as possible.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Food intolerances can cause a whole host of symptoms and problems and inability to gain weight in some dogs is one of them. So sounds like you may have found your problem
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >