Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2013, 02:58 PM

Coconut oil

The lady in the health shop really strongly recommended I buy it ( biona virgin organic coconut oil) as its apparently wonderful for dogs.

Well, every time I've fed it (1 teaspoon) anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour later the result has been explosive, liquid, and I mean liquid, like water, diarrhoea.
Immediately after this Penelope races round like she's on speed for a few minutes then crashes out and falls asleep.....

Am I feeding too much or does it just not agree with her?

I have given her 1 or 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil almost everyday since she was a puppy and although she's always had dodgy digestion, she has never had trouble as a direct result of the oil.

Feeling a bit conned.

Good job it tastes nice so I can use it otherwise I'd be really annoyed!
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2013, 03:07 PM
I've never heard of it for dogs - I'll have to check that out. (though I don't like the sound of the explosive diarrhoea!) 1 teaspoon doesn't seem very much. I use it on myself as a body moisturiser and it's really good. I keep meaning to use it for cooking, which I suppose is what it's really meant for!

Come to think of it, although I've never thought to give it to the dogs, they do tend to give me a very thorough licking after I've put it on!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm only familiar with coconut oil as a product for skin and hair on hoomans. Oh and a bit of an ingredient for cocktails but that's coconut milk isn't it!

I definitely wouldn't give your dog any more of it after the effect it had.

Just read this after a quick google ....

It is important that you give your dog only Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO) ... coconut oil given to a dog or cat can cause diarrhea or greasy stools ...
And this from a vet answer site (someone put coconut oil on her dog's food and it got diarrhoea)

Anything new or fatty can trigger diarrhea in a dog. Coconut oil is not toxic but can cause diarrhea.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Bit of info here too:

http://coconutoil.com/how-to-feed-yo...t-coconut-oil/

Giving coconut to your pet is an excellent health decision and can improve your pet’s quality of life, but there is a right way and wrong way to start supplementing your dog or cat’s diet with coconut oil.

Start slow and increase gradually.

When beginning to supplement your pet’s diet with coconut oil, start slow and increase gradually. Giving too much coconut oil too soon can cause digestive and detox issues.

Because coconut oil kills bacteria, viruses, parasites, yeasts, and fungi, your pet may respond negatively to the detox aspect of taking coconut oil. Signs of detoxing too rapidly may include lethargy, headaches, flu-like symptoms, fatigue, and diarrhea.
All seem to agree to start very little amounts and build up but as everything I read about it mentions the diarrhoea - I don't think I will be giving any of this to my dog! Sounds like a detox substance. Or something to trigger a 'purge' - not very pleasant for the dog in my view.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2013, 03:34 PM
That's very helpful - I think I'll give it a miss, too. Pity about the side effects though, as it sounds as if there are benefits.
Emmakay391
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-08-2013, 05:11 PM
My dog loves coconut oil he even opened my jar of it and ate half..I didn't even know he could open jars lol.

I just put a teaspoon on his dinner every few days, he always looks shiny but then he gets fish oils too

Emma X
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2013, 06:45 PM
I am giving it to Winter to try to help with his allergies, no exploding bum yet.... he's been on it for a few weeks now. cant say I have noticed any difference yet....
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2013, 04:56 AM
My dogs get coconut oil every day but you do have to start slowly. If you go to Tropical Traditions website they have all the info you'll ever need on it.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Coconut oil around here is like crack, they all LOVE it. It needs to be given in small doses until their digestive system can handle more.