Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:04 AM

Opinions on key hole spays please

I've just found a vet who does key hole spays, priced at £296.17,which doesn't bother me at all as I'd pay anything rather than have my wee suasage with a huge cut in her tum again...
Has anyone experience of the key hole spaying ?

Thanks Elaine
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:13 AM
When freya was spayed... it wasn`t keyhole as such... but only had a 2" cut. I think i paid around £180 odd quid.. but that was 4 years ago.

Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:19 AM
i wouldnt have my bitch spayed by keyhole ..after assisting with spays for 19 years i want the traditional way,you NEED to be able to have quick access and enough room to deal with 'bleed outs' imo which can and do happen.

most vets i have worked with incisions are only like the pic above,enough to see whats going on and get a few fingers in

jmo.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Lily had a tiny cut with just 2 stitches in it. Totally agree with what Layla said there!
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Both my girls were done by keyhole, I had no choice in the matter actually they just told me thats how they were doing it but it reduced the recovery time and both girls were back to their normal mental selves the next day and i found it helped as i didn't have to restrict their exercise to much either x
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 10:41 AM
I'm with "Tupacs2 on this one seen hundreds of speys done in the last 20+ yrs, how small do you want the inscision the majority are only a couple of ins long in anycase
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Both my girls were spayed at the same surgery but my current Vet was not there when my Little One was spayed. She had a rather large incision for a small dog although apart from the first night when she decided that she could not jump up on the bed, she acted perfectly normally afterwards. Having just checked her card she weighed 4.9k when she was spayed.

She did not even need an Elizabethan Collar as she just ignored her stitches.

Pereg was ~the same age but larger [13k], and it was Dr Ram, our current Vet, who spayed her. A much smaller incision with only five stitches - he usually uses staples for the outside skin area but used regular stitches as he knew I would be removing them and had not had experience of removing staples at that time.

I have just tried, and managed, to find Pereg's scar, and it is ~4cm long maximum, which could be classed as keyhole? I remember querying it with Ram and him saying that that was all that was necessary. Pereg did need an Elizabethan Collar [is that what you call them?] after the spaying though, but she was 100% back to normal the afternoon after she was spayed in the morning.

Trying to stop her from jumping was an impossibility, but then she was a stroppy adolescent pup at the time, far less docile than my Little One had been at that age, and I knew that if it hurt her to do something she would not do it.

She actually needed her Elizabethan Collar after the dog attack in March, to stop her from getting to the staples, by which time I had learned that removing staples is a lot easier than removing stitches!

I still think that my Little One could have had been spayed without being opened so much - it was almost from her sternum downwards, whereas my own scar from a total hysterectomy is only ~12cm long, and that was definitely not keyhole surgery! I was and still am a lot larger than my Little One was.

I really do not remember how much it cost for my Little One to be spayed, but Pereg cost me maybe ~£85
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2011, 11:33 AM
As a vet I once worked with used to say 'Big mistakes can be made through too small a hole'! I'm all for limiting the size of incision but wounds heal from side to side and not end to end and visualisation is key, especially in a bitch spay.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the replies...
When Toro had the sox removed from her stomach the cut was quite long and took some time to heal, as I know they do, but my vet insists because bullies have a thicker stomach wall, his words, not mine the cut has to be longer, which I don't want
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't go for keyhole either, just incase of a bleed really. Codee had a full spay and had a closed pyo and her scar is tiny, about 2" long and healed so well... She was done at 11mths. Honey was spayed aged almost 8yrs and she had blood vessels where blood vessels should not be, we nearly lost her through so much blood loss and her scar is tiny too...
I would always opt for a full op spay, given the choice to be honest!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >