View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-10-2011, 10:08 PM

What do you think a 'nube' needs to know?

If you could get a message to someone thinking about getting a dog... what would you say?

Simple point form is fine, there's no need to go into the details yet, we can elaborate after (feel free to add a description if you think it's needed tho).
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Research your choosen breed, and the choosen breeder & be prepared to look after this animal for its life, when the going gets tough you owe the dog to keep at it.
- remember its our choice to own a dog, and for that reason alone we have to do our up most.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 02:47 PM
If you adopt a rescue or an older dog, don't forget it could arrive with a load of baggage that you'll have to be prepared to deal with.
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Choose the right breeder . Reputable breeders health check their sires and dams and breed from the best stock and will take a puppy back rather than have somebody else rehome them if they don't fit into their new home ( If you do your research this shouldn't happen )
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Do your reading beforehand ,book into local training classes as soon as possible.If possible visit before getting the dog.make sure you have arranged for time at home to be with the dog for settling in period.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 03:50 PM
research the breed in detail, visit different breeders and get an actual feel for said breed.

avoid free ad sites or cheap puppies ready now just because they want it and want it now. be prepared to wait.

make sure dogs have all the relevant health tests done.

meet parents of pups, and as many siblings/relatives as possible.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 05:20 PM
I'd tell them to research all areas, look at their lifestyle - does a dog fit in with that.
Can they afford a dog and if they can't afford vet bills/insurance do they have a back up so if things do go wrong they can pay?
Do they want an adult or a puppy?
Do they know how tough puppies can be?
Do they know their local trainers or have a plan for this dog?
How many hours can they give it exercise/mental stimulation?
Do they have knowledge of the breed already? If not how much research they have done?

Stuff like that and of course health tests etc..
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 06:49 PM
My brother and his wife have never had a dog themselves. Obviously my brother was brought up with the family GSD's but he never wanted to walk them etc, that was my thing.

They are now thinking of having a dog and it is interesting to hear the questions they ask and the concerns they have.

They don't want to walk miles and miles every day, they don't mind grooming (at least my S IN L doesn't!), they want to know insurance costs (they had a diabetic cat and a cat with HD so know about vets costs!). They want rough food costing. They want to know how to dog proof the house----they were unaware of crates and their uses. They were unaware of health tests.

They are waiting until after my brother and I go to Florida and my S in L is having Celt while I am away. That way she will find out exactly what she is prepared to do and needs to do. She will have back up from an agility friend of mine in the area---I wouldn't do it otherwise. I will stay for three days before we fly out so they will both have time to acclimatise and get used to each other. It will be interesting to see how they get on.

I really don't know what breed would be best, maybe a goldie or similar.

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 08:33 AM
It`s a social animal.
Not a toy.
You can`t put it back in the box when you`re bored.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Your taking on an infant on four legs for the next 15 years prepair to be dedicated.

Kindness, respect, understanding and a hell of a lot of pationce (depends on the breed))

What you put in you don't all ways get out

A dog is not a toy like Clair says

Be prepaired for a tough time if your a first time dog owner

Understand your breeds needs
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >