Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 10:21 PM

Newfoundland Water Rescue - Training Day 2

For those who didn't read day 1, jess and i have joined a water rescue group. (appologies for the long thread)

We meet on a sunday at the cotswold water park every week. This is a 3 hour round trip and takes alot of dedication and time. The dogs take a year or two to train and will take part in displays around the country showing the brilliant abilities that newfoundland dogs have when it comes to water rescue's.

Day 2

We arrive, flask in boot of car and myself a little bit nervous. We were made very welcome and tried hard not to watch as adults dropped clothes all around us and climbed into wetsuits.

As this was my second day it was decision time, if i enjoyed the day i would part with my money and become a fully fledged member of the group. Wetsuits for myself and children would need to be purchased, a special harness for jess and a lot of time over the coming year, so i had to be sure it would be what we wanted.

I sat on the bank of the lake watching as the owners got their dogs into the water and were training them to retrieve items, hold onto them and bring them to shore.

I was quite happy, watching from the bank when one of the ladies said "come on - lets get you in the water, i've got some spare wetsuits in the car". That in itself was a bit of a laugh as i'm not the slender type and i thought, well it won't ever fit but i will give it ago.

10 minutes later i appear, all dignity lost as unfortunately i wasn't prepared for the "change in public" and had to hide descreetly behind my car door. Mental note in head for next time to wear bigger pants .

But with my first challenge overcome i apprear - in the tightest wetsuit i have ever seen. We all had a giggle, and laughing i told them to beware when i bent over as the seam may just explode.

I then get into the lake, cold but the wetsuit was doing its job and holding up which was all round very good.

The trainer then swims to the middle of the lake and i watch me first rescue take place. I've some pictures to show you what happened.

This is when they are preparing the dog to go out for the rescue. (by the way, this isn't me but a lady from the group)

Then they send the dog in for the rescue, the dot in the background is the instructor waiting in the lake.

The dog reaches the instructor, who then hold on to the dogs coat on his lower back. He is then pulled back, quite easily by the dog to the bank.

And finally one more pic of when they returned

It was just brilliant to watch, and the dog just seemed to love it.

I was then asked to swim out to the lake and they sent a dog to resue me, this time i held on to a float which had a rope. When the dog reached me, i had to float on my back and the dog grabbed the rope, and pulled me all the way in. Have to say, it was brilliant and made my day.

The dogs had time in between to have a good run around and play and they seemed to be having just a good a day as i was.

After many hours of practice, fun and a good old doggy chat there was no turning back and jess and i will be returning in 2 weeks as a fully fledged members of the groupl

Next week there isn't training as the group is off doing a display in public and although i was asked to come along, i have jess booked into a show so we had to decline. But we will be back in 2 weeks for week 3 of training.

Sorry its long, hope you enjoyed reading our water rescue training day out.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks so much for part 2. I really enjoyed the last one and was waiting for your next lesson. I`m so glad you have decided to join up. What an amazing hobby and one which could save lives too.The dog must love being in it`s natural environment , what a stimulation for it both physically and mentally.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks for your kind words fudgeley. Yes i am so glad we found this group as it give us a brilliant hobby to share.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Sorry I missed the first thread,it looks amazing and I think you will all have a great time and great for jess to be able to do what she was bred for.Look forward to hearing more about your amazing days .
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 10:19 AM
That looks really interesting, I'm sure you won't regret joining up - can't wait to see photos of Jess in action too
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Abolutely brillliant!!!!!!
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 02:33 PM
thanks to you all!!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Looks like a really enjoyable day. I remember seeing rescue Newfies on the telly jumping out of helicopters into the water. Amazing dogs.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 07:42 PM
I missed part 1 but part 2 ia brilliant, the pic's are great looks like every one enjoyed themselves, especially Jess
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Looks like a really enjoyable day. I remember seeing rescue Newfies on the telly jumping out of helicopters into the water. Amazing dogs.
thanks phil, it was a really good day out. We send the dogs from boats also which looks fantastic, not seen helicopters yet!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >