Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Oh thats bad luck, glad he is OK tho - thats the most important - there are always other years

One thing I was wondering watching the dogs in the right
Why is the hair on their chest left so long? Looks strange to me, so I just wondered the reason why
To protect under belly from any rough bracken, is my guess .

Can't see why it would look strange though.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 04:35 PM
The main thing is that he is OK and you did, of course, take the best dog home
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
To protect under belly from any rough bracken, is my guess .

Can't see why it would look strange though.
Errm i said it looks strange TO ME

Just the length of it distorts the outline of the dogs and makes them look a different shape to what they actually are
and when I saw the dogs moveing it looks like a heavy curtain that slightly impeeds the dogs movement

If you are used to seeing dogs looking like that then of course it would not look odd - I am not used to seeing dogs with such long hair on their chests so of course it looks odd to me

eta - its not an insult or a complaint just a comment - the very first time I saw a poodle it looked odd to me, I liked it - but it looked odd
Strange/odd whatever are not 'bad' automatically, just different to what I am used to seeing
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 04:45 PM
I can imagine that was disappointing but at least you and he got there and he is fine.

He looks gorgeous xxxxxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-03-2012, 04:53 PM
I am glad Henry is better now. Such a shame he went lame for a short while.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

10-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Such a shame the handsome Henry went lame but good that he recovered quickly and is OK. xx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Thank you for all your lovely replies, he is fine in himself, totally oblivious as to how upset I was at the time

Jackie, it would have been Amanda Goldby you were talking to, I have known her and her hubby for years, they have the Shadymoor affix

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Oh thats bad luck, glad he is OK tho - thats the most important - there are always other years

One thing I was wondering watching the dogs in the right
Why is the hair on their chest left so long? Looks strange to me, so I just wondered the reason why
I'm not sure if you know but setters are deep chested breeds, like the greyhounds, so we don't necessarily leave the hair to grow that long, it just follows the body line and, the deeper the chest the more a dog looks like it has longer hair than a different breed. If you look at Hen, the only things I trim on him are his ears, neck, feet and hocks plus a bit of the length of the tail to balance him out. Everything else on him is completely natural, just as nature intended

He has a spring of ribs that gives that rounded appearance, and the breast bone is quite well pronounced, which is why the hair seems to stick out at the front.

So, although he is trimmed for the show ring, basically, the shape you see is what is underneath him and what he is made like. I hope that explains it
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Thank you for all your lovely replies, he is fine in himself, totally oblivious as to how upset I was at the time

Jackie, it would have been Amanda Goldby you were talking to, I have known her and her hubby for years, they have the Shadymoor affix

I'm not sure if you know but setters are deep chested breeds, like the greyhounds, so we don't necessarily leave the hair to grow that long, it just follows the body line and, the deeper the chest the more a dog looks like it has longer hair than a different breed. If you look at Hen, the only things I trim on him are his ears, neck, feet and hocks plus a bit of the length of the tail to balance him out. Everything else on him is completely natural, just as nature intended

He has a spring of ribs that gives that rounded appearance, and the breast bone is quite well pronounced, which is why the hair seems to stick out at the front.

So, although he is trimmed for the show ring, basically, the shape you see is what is underneath him and what he is made like. I hope that explains it
Thank you for taking the time to explain, yes I think the hair sticking out in the front is possibly what looked the oddest to me - so thanks for explaining.
I did know they were deep chested - and he does look like a healthy handsome fellow
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-03-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm sorry that you're moment of glory in the ring didn't quite work out as you intended, such a shame after all the work you must have done before to get him looking good, but look on it as a practice for next year

Thanks for explaining that because, like Pam, I was wondering about it, and TBH it did look funny, and I was also thinking it must be a nightmare when he runs through muddy puddles etc. but if you say that the hairs are not abnormally long then I guess it's something you have to get used to with Setters.

Just as nature intended, that's the key to good show ring performance. Fingers crossed for next year then.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

10-03-2012, 06:20 PM

:
Yep that's her, lovely lady had a nice chat.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >