Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cooper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2006, 08:11 AM

How do I become a F/T dog walker?

Hi Everyone,

I dont come on here very often and dont own a dog, but I love this forum!!!!

Juts wondered if there was any full time dog walkers out there who could point me in the right direction. I currently work in an office and its not right for me. Im starting to get quite depressed with it, so I am researching other outdoorish jobs...

Im trying to reseach how to become a dog walker for my local area, but googles just throwing up a load of companies which dont tell me much?

Any advice would be great so I can see if this is viable.

Thanks guys x
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 08:45 AM
The only thing i can think of is if you see on adverts where people are asking for dog walkers sorry not a lot of help am i but i wish you luck.
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2006, 10:53 AM
You could look in Yellow Pages under Dog Walking or Pet Services and find out the businesses in your area. Phone round to see if they want more staff (probably a good time with holidays coming up). That way you can learn the job/rates/requirements etc and see if it suits before commiting too much on starting up your own business.
Cooper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks you two - never thought of that!
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Good luck and do post about your progress - I've also considered doing more of it !
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Make sure you look into good insurance
saraUK
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Whilst you are still working see if your local rescue centre need any help with dog walking. That way you will be able to see if you would actually like it and help the poor dogs who may not have had such a great life.

If you then decide you like it you could myabe work part time in you job and start advertising locally as a dog walker, if it takes off then you can leave your job and enjoy life as a full time dog walker!!

Good luck!
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 10:12 AM
hey there, when i was lookin after my mum fulltime, i started up my own dog walking business. luckily for me i had no financial ties like a mortgage or rent at the time so easier for me.
I just posted up advertisements in local vets and free on yellow pages.
From there i got a few clients and i even had someone ring me to say they were a dog walker and were moving to another country and if i would take on their clients! all 30 of them, but i didnt drive at the time so couldnt.
its worth getting some good insurance, these guys do the relevant insurance you need:
http://www.petbusinessinsurance.co.uk/

it can be a slow start, but worth ringing around to see what the average charge is and if u can do pet sitting too its a bonus.
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Hi dont know if its any help at all but ,wolfman deos dog walking for a living and im sure if you pm him he would be happy to help any way he can ,didnt notice where your based but he's in essex ,anyway good luck ,hope you find what your looking for .
Cooper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Hi, theres some really good information there - thats great!

Theres a few things we need to set up before we start - like driving licence (leant how to drive but too scared to take test ) and transport, and also make sure we are finacially stable to do either part time or nothing at all while it gets underway. As for the rescue idea - thats a great idea, which we have attempted but unfortuntely its not close enough with no bus.... although, I have fostered bbefore and I also look after friends and family dogs... so I aam quite sure I will love it! Just need to get out of this dawn office!

We've decided to add other services to our list as well, to help us finacially such as cat sitting / checking etc...

I might also try for a few qualifications (maybe animal first aid if that exists?)

Thanks for your help everyone, I will keep you informed of my progress.

Cheers,