register for free

Dog News

Husky owner attacked – news report highlights dog baiting as a possible reason

A Lancashire woman has told how she was punched in the face by a man who showed interest in her husky. Twenty-year-old Amy Leigh from Accrington was walking 11-month old Rayne near the Broadway Pub when the man asked if he could stroke the dog. Describing the incident to a newspaper, Amy said that she had been left with a bloody nose but that Rayne had defended her.

“People always stop to stroke him and this guy asked if he could,” she said. “He bent down and was looking at his collar. I think he was looking for an address on the tag, but I don't have it on there for that very reason.

“I bent down to pull Rayne closer to me with his collar and the man punched me in the face. Rayne grabbed the man by the wrist and dragged him to the ground until I told him to 'leave now' and then the man ran off.”

Amy went on to say that parents should be warned not let children walk dogs on their own because of the risk of incidents such as this.

Although the attacker and his motives are not known, a concern that Rayne might have been targeted for use in dog baiting was the focus of the news report. John Duxworth of Sibes and Sled Dogs Husky Welfare was reported as having raised awareness of huskies used for dog baiting, and as saying: “It is very concerning that there may be dog baiting going on. I think that's what the purpose of pinching the dogs is.

“They are not aggressive dogs, but if they are provoked they can be pretty savage. In a fight where they are tied up they don't stand a chance.”

A similar incident was reported to police in Burnley, after a woman walking her five-month-old Alaskan Malamute was approached by two men who asked about the dog, tried to grab the lead and pushed her to the ground. Despite suffering cuts to her face and hand, she managed to keep hold of the lead.

The welfare officer for Hyndburn Stray Dogs in Need was reported as saying: “It is an underground scene. It wouldn't surprise me if it was going on and the larger breeds were ring used.

“If I find anyone using dogs for this reason I will report them to the police.

“It takes a brave man or a lunatic to take on of these dogs off its owner.”

Your comments and views:
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 12:31 PM
awfull

im waiting for the day they try and do that with Tupac(people always think hes a husky)or when he is out with the sibes... they would have a BIG surprise!!

...i have read this report and i dont see why the assume taken for 'dog baiting' other dogs would be more suitable...more likely its for breeding or selling on...or even ransome.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 12:55 PM
As Husky's seem to be the next must have dog I would guess they may also be stolen to sell on.

Many years ago when Staffords were at their height of popularity there were a few incident like this. I guess they have now moved on.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
yes...i know of this happening to a kid walking his sbt pup a few years back on new years eve
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Not a nice position to be in for whatever the reasons.
I had a similar experience when two guys tried to square their Bullbreed against our Bruce....thankfully when they saw hubby and his size walking towards them they ran off, its quite frightening my sympathies to the woman hope she wasn't badly hurt
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 02:25 PM
I agree. Not an obvious breed to use for baiting, unlike some stolen staffs , but a popular dog atm and so one to steal to sell on or breed from, or ransom
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Could also have been stealing to order. . Husky types are very popular atm.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm always aware of this when walking Keiko and always walk her with one of the Estrelas. I have heard of Huskies and Mals being stolen in this manner before. Hope the lady is OK.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 12:11 PM
I hope the lady is/will be OK and that the dog has no lasting ill effects from the experience.

Am also pleased that where I live there has been an influx of GSDs and people either love them to bits and own them, or stay well clear of those out and about.

When I was in the Police I was involved in an operation re dog fighting in the Ward End area of Birmingham (not the nicest of areas for those who don't know it). We were ambushed, officers got hurt, no dogs were saved that night and several died.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Thank goodness the owners and dogs are all OK. Horrible experience for anyone to go through.

Interesting what the first dog owner said about the I.D. tag, that the men were looking for the address and that's why she doesn't include it on the tag. Probably very wise of her. I know most of us have our addresses on our dogs' tags, but does make one wonder.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top