View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BarkingBill
New Member!
Male 

07-08-2017, 06:47 AM

Should I buy a 10 week old Cocker with "Merle" gene?

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I love small to medium dogs, especially poodles. My neighbor told me that a 10 week old Cocker was available for sale in San Francisco and from a registered breeder. So I called and the breeder said the puppy is healthy, ready for purchase, and has the Merle variation or gene and that he was lucky that it was produced. Lucky? (Merle is my Grandmother's name). He said that he makes certain that the puppies mother does not have it and that the father does because it's irresponsible to have both parents have this merle.

This merle gene gave this 10 week old Cocker have different eye colors (one blue, one brown) and a mottled splotchy (beautiful) coat.

Looked at a few webpages and now I'm scared to purchase it. It's really really cute, lovable, active.

He wants an answer with 48 hours or he'll sell the pup to someone else.

I don't want to have a puppy with increased risk of disease or disability.

Anyone here have a dog with merle or a dog with two different eye colors? Anyone here have a dog infected(?) with this merle?

So should I not buy this unusual puppy?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-08-2017, 12:11 PM
I didn`t know cocker spaniels came in "merle".
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-08-2017, 05:23 AM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
I didn`t know cocker spaniels came in "merle".
Nor did I. I thought that was a collie trait.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2017, 08:29 AM
You only have to look on the internet to see that this is not a colour of a real cocker but has been introduced by so called breeders to make them "rare" and hence more expensive. It would also seem that they can come with health problems.

Buyer beware would be my motto
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2017, 08:36 AM
In my 50 years of owning cocker spaniels, I have never come across a "merle". There is such a mixed type colour known as "roan" but never come across different coloured eyes either.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Quote" Looked at a few webpages and now I'm scared to purchase it" unquote

There is your answer even you think the description is "iffy".

All puppies look adorable and that is the hook breeders use all the time. Best advice if in doubt leave alone.
Sounds to me as if he is a trader more than a breeder.

Many years ago we wanted a particular breed and most breeders we approached said they had no puppies for sale, fair enough. We did get a puppy from a top class well known breed owner who said she didn't have any puppies but if we wanted to she would chat about the breed and give us more insite.
So we went and saw her and after chatting she admitted she had puppies just born but not going to sell to anyone not seriously interested.

To cut a long story short we had a puppy from her and 40 years on we are still in touch with her and do go and see her and now good friends.

That is the kind of breeder you want, not one just selling but in continuous contact many years later
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-09-2017, 05:32 PM
Caveate emtor comes to mind.