Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2005, 08:14 PM
Thanks for doing that Het - I really appreciate it

Well I remembered that the recovery bit is already on the computer and not on a separate disc so I consulted the Packard Bell manual and it said to press F11 on start up which I did. I tried doing a system restore from this point but it wouldn't go into it at all so the next choice was a partial recovery and it said it kept files on so they could be retrieved. Well it took about 15 mins to do and then started up again and it was meant to be restored to factory settings. It went to the bit at first where it says Computer name and then gives the Serial no of the computer in a box. It then asks you to give your computer a name such as Family computer or something - I left that blank because its an optional thing. I then pressed next and then the egg timer came up and it has now been doing nothing for the last 15 mins but the drives are making a noise as if they are doing something but I can't understand why it won't go on to the next bit

I HATE COMPUTERS
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2005, 08:38 PM
shouldn't take that long Foxy, you might need a boot disk, did you get any disks at all with the pc?
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Patience dear Foxy - if the PC has a large hard disk, it will take a long time to restore to factory settings.

Remember to make a Password Reset Disk - in case you have this problem again. Using the Password Reset disk may allow you to avoid restoring back to factory settings and losing your valuable data and settings.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Start it in safe mode Foxy

You will be able to get in add users change passwords anything you want so that should help you out
At least get you in side to change options and passwords
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Het
shouldn't take that long Foxy, you might need a boot disk, did you get any disks at all with the pc?

No I don't think there were any discs with it Het because everything was pre-installed at the factory I think.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by royv
Patience dear Foxy - if the PC has a large hard disk, it will take a long time to restore to factory settings.

Remember to make a Password Reset Disk - in case you have this problem again. Using the Password Reset disk may allow you to avoid restoring back to factory settings and losing your valuable data and settings.
Whoops - should it really have taken more than half an hour Roy I stopped it and did a full recovery as opposed to the partial one because I thought it had got stuck somewhere because it wouldn't go on to the next step - didn't realise it should take that long. Well at least she can get in it now.

How do I make a Password reset disc then
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by leo
Start it in safe mode Foxy

You will be able to get in add users change passwords anything you want so that should help you out
At least get you in side to change options and passwords

Thanks Leo, I will try that next time - because no doubt there will be one - me and computers are not compatible
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-11-2005, 09:32 PM
unlike you an a bottle............lol
you don't half make me giggle!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by leo
unlike you an a bottle............lol
you don't half make me giggle!

Oh yes a nice bottle of Baileys - much better than a computer Can't wait till Christmas when we leave Father Christmas his glass of Baileys (or the bottle in this case )
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-11-2005, 09:43 PM
hm say no more while munching on a carrot?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >