Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2010, 06:01 PM

Puppy vomiting

hi all,

well about an hour ago Dutch was sick in the living room, i locked him out the room for about 5 mins so i could clean it up without him trying to eat it. i went to let him back in and he'd been sick another 2 times, he'd already half eaten one lot before i could get to him.
He hasnt eaten anything he wouldnt usually, except for a worming tablet which he had at about 11am this morning, could this be the cause?
He seems fine in himself, but not sure if i should give him his tea tonight or not?
He's been sick in the past but never 3 times in a row, just after a few opinions really, thanks.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Hi Fay how old is your puppy, when you say he 'was sick ' do you mean he bought up bile or undigested food.

It is not unusual for worming tablets to cause dogs to vomit.
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2010, 06:14 PM
he's 5 months, it was undigested food, and a lot of it!
thanks for the quick response, will keep my eye on him, he seems quite fine, just fallen asleep on my lap, bless x
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Hello Fay - yes, worming tablets can make some dogs sick, and also give them the runs too unfortunately.

If he is a very young puppy then not giving him his tea and leaving him all night without food might not be a good idea, especially if he seems well and happy in all other respects.

When he was sick, was it his previous meal that he brought up or had he eaten something disgusting found in the garden or bin?!!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 06:18 PM
oops, you posted before my reply!!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 06:20 PM
When you say "a lot of it", maybe you fed him a bit too much in one go? That kibble, some of it, almost trebles in size don't forget once inside them! My puppy used to throw all her dinner up at that age if I fed her too much, or if she started playing after eating her meal. How many meals is he on a day at 5 months? Maybe you've cut the meals down too much and have to give him bigger meals and this could be the result.

Either that or it's the worming tablet, it's not unheard of.

I wouldn't feed him again if it was me, I'd wait a couple of hours at least and see if he's hungry, then give him a small meal, not too much. I hope it's nothing more than the above, and good luck with her, they're always such a worry aren't they.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by fayeily View Post
he's 5 months, it was undigested food, and a lot of it!
thanks for the quick response, will keep my eye on him, he seems quite fine, just fallen asleep on my lap, bless x
Hi Fay I would think the vomiting was due to the wormer, I give panacur granules to puppies rather than tablets, I find they are better tolerated.

If you puppy is well in every other way and hasn't been sick again in a couple of hours time you could give him a tiny amount of well boiled rice with a little of the water, just a tablespoon full . If he is unwell in any way or continues to vomit over the next few hours he should see a vet.

Also make sure he has access to fresh water but best not to let him drink a lot on one go, better to keep refilling the bowl.
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2010, 06:23 PM
he's just had half of his tea, (was asleep but heard someone in the kitchen and was at the door like a bolt of lightning!) will see if he keeps that down then give him the rest in abit
it was his food from lunch time and a couple of treats that he had thoughout the day, dont think he's had anything out of the bin or garden but then again can't say for certain.
he's probably fine but im abit of a worrier so just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were, thanks guys xx
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks Minihaha will defo be taking him to the vets in the morning if he's sick again, fingers crossed though!
was sick all over his bed so hopefully it will be washed and dry in time for bedtime otherwise im going to have to improvise!

it wont hurt that he ate half of his vomit will it?
dirty hound always tries to whenever he's sick